Must Ship Pistols FedEx 2-day???

[Shipping Handguns] Does the Law Require Handgun Shipping FedEx 2-day or Next-Day???

Do handguns have to be shipped using FedEx 2day or overnight service? How about UPS or USPS? I've never bought a handgun over the internet so I'd like to know if there's a law about shipping handguns.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ascot500

Why not Fed Ex ground service?
My understanding is that the "no ground" policy on HG's is a UPS internal issue.

rebuilder1

Search....

the FedEx website for "handgun". It spells it out very clearly.

According to the website, the handgun must be shipped priority overnight and must be disassembled, in order to render it inoperable. From the sounds of it, that would require shipping two packages. The package is also restricted to shipment to a FFL dealer or firearm manufacturer ONLY. No person to person shipments. UPS has a similar requirement, except there was no mention of a requirement to render the firearm inoperable prior to shipment. USPS will ship firearms, but it must be mailed by an FFL dealer to another FFL dealer or manufacturer. Of course, a separate form must be completed that details the shipment prior to acceptance by the USPS.

I recently returned two revolvers to a manufacturer for repair via UPS. It shipped overnight and I disclosed the fact they were handguns. The cost difference was $14.00 between two-day and overnight delivery--not enough for me to risk a problem. I would not want to explain why it was not shipped according to their restrictions should the package become "lost". Not to mention any possible violation of Federal law. Just some food for thought...

R1

VVG

Dissasemble the pistol and remove something that will allow it to be reassembled into a functional weapon (although manufacturers and some end-users just take the slide off, wrap it seperately, take out the firing pin and stick it in the mag. well). Package it and seal the box. Don't put anything on the outside that says it's a firearm, and the address can't make it obvious that it is a firearm.

Walk into the Fedex Office. When you get to the service person, say, "I am shipping this package to a Federally Licensed Firearms dealer. The dealer has his license on file with Fedex. The package contains a firearm. The firearm has been disassembled and parts removed so that it will not function." If they are not a newbie, they will tell you no problem, has to go overnight, and do you want to insure it. A pistol will usually cost between $30-40.

IF they're a newbie, they will freak out and summon a manager who looks like Rosie O'Donnell. She will begin interviewing you - even though YOU brought THEM a copy of THEIR rules. Offer to open the package and show them it's been dissasembled - they'll decline! You will then call the gunsmith. The gunsmith will say, loud enough for them to hear it, "If they don't take care of you, just go over to UPS." Then, they will come to their senses and realize they only make money when they ship goods and $30 for two pounds is good work when you can get it.

I've heard that UPS will no longer ship a handgun end-user to FFL - only FFL to FFL but don't know this for a fact. The USPS won't ship handguns, and will only ship rifles between FFL's. The guy from Fedex Ground who delivered 400 rounds of USGI surplus 30.06 ammo told me they don't deliver firearms - or ammunition. Enjoy!

USPS shipping using form 1508

I know that the prospect of shipping a handgun safely, which is what every owner wants to do, can be both confusing and expensive. When I need to return a handgun to the supplier for exchange or credit or to the factory for repair I can't afford to pay the premium $32-35 charged for overnight service simply because shipping companies can't maintain the integrity of their systems or the honesty of their staffs. Instead of correcting deficiencies they charge customers exorbitant and unnecessary fees to move the goods more quickly past the resident thieves. They should really fine or fire these thieving employees and ship customers' legal goods at reasonable costs.

If you have an FFL and are shipping a handgun to an FFL you can do it through the USPS by declaring the shipment on form 1508. Basically you put your self on record as shipping from one designated FFL to another designated FFL. Its legal and its covered by Federal law. Steal from UPS or Fedex, so what. Steal the US mail and you break Federal law. The odds are with USPS. I intend to do so this week. I'll report the experience in a few days.

Since others have recommended shipping USPS some additional words from them would be welcome. If it's new ground its time we start treading it as it may be the last frontier of gun rights.

Herb Fredricksen

VictorLouis

I didn't think Fed-Ex charged the usery rates. Wrong.:rolleyes: The young lady said that they(handguns) can only be shippred Priority. "We don't want them in our possession for too long." The base cost is $35. To get the extra $400 in insurance(first $100 is included), it came to $37.50. Another gentleman suggested DHL. Does anyone have any experience with them??

Derek Zeanah

Shipped a handgun last week via a Mailboxes-Etc kind of place, and they shipped it ground (freaked the buyer out). Looked at the regs after that and you're supposed to send it overnight.

Doesn't mean that the guy behind the counter knows the rules, though.

madmike

I'm so tempted to start a courier service of shipping guns between dealers in the midwest. I could charge less than FedUp, still make a decent hourly rate, and put a LOT of them in my trunk.

bradster

i believe that when shipping fedex overnight priority (handguns and anything else) the package is automatically insured up to 500.00 value.

Jack19

I shipped an 8 lb package via FedEx from the East coast to the West coast, standard overnight, insured for $1000, and they charged me $69. I made the huge mistake of shipping through a Pkgs office where, after my inquiring as to the ridiculously high price, the counter person admitted they added $25 to the cost just for handling the package (for two hours until the FedEx truck arrived.) I paid it as it was late in the day and I had promised the buyer it would be at his FFL the next day....but, I learned my lesson.

Can Licensed Collectors use the post office too?

Jack19

Oh and at least here in Charlotte, the insurance included on an overnight package with FedEx is $100. Be SURE you ask.