Multiple revolver carry

Dogger

Many auto purists look down on revolver snubbies because they only have five shots and reloads are slower than autos for the average shooter.

OK, so carry two revolvers...

Is this the preferred mode of carry for any TFL'ers?

Lightweight 38 snubbies, one on left side, one on right side, make a lot of sense to me...

I left my snubbies and went to autos for several reasons:
(1) had my 442 seize up on me -- loss of confidence
(2) autos are more interesting (engineering, design, etc)
(3) autos are more fun to shoot than snubbies
(4) autos have less recoil due to their design, cartridges being equal...

But for sheer concealability and ease of use, two snubbies make a lot of sense...

Doc Hudson

I am most often a two gun man.

A belt sized revolver rides on my right hip, it varies between a 4.75" .44 SPL Uberti/American Arms Regulator and a 4" S&W M-686. It is balanced by an S&W M-640 in my left front pocket.

When I carry the Single-Action, I don't bother with spare ammo for it. But I do carry a couple of Bianchi Speed strips for reloading my M-640. That is just in case a fight needs more than ten shots.

I went back to revolvers as carry guns after both the semi-autos had catastrophic magazine failures.

One one trip to the range with my Colt Officers' ACP, five of six magazines had take a set and would not feed reliably. The five magazines included the one I'd had in my pistol the day I had to growl at a couple of gangbangers who though I looked like prey.

Then not long after that, I removed my old Iver Johnson TP-22 from my pocket aftert work and found the magazine floorplate had broken and released spring tension. The new replacement magazine from Triple K was not as reliable as the original.

With both of these failures of long trusted automatics, I went back to revolvers and rarely carry an automatic.

Doc Hudson

So let them look down on revolver people. I'd be more concerned about the reasons BEHIND their seeming need to feel "superior."

Seems to me that the only reason they need all those extra rounds is because they doubt their ability to hit a target, or have some fear that they're going to be accosted by the Vienna Boys Choir on crack.

Non-argument, as far as I'm concerned.

Jim March

Soon as I score CCW, one wheelgun of .38Snubbie type or better plus one .22Mag minirevolver will be constant companions.

Jim

gitarmac

My first serious gun was a glock 19. Then I got a glock 26. For some reason the 26 did everything the 19 did only better. I also have a 38 snubbie. I can point it better than my glocks and it carries well. A big plus for the glock is the corrosion resistance though.

I traded my 19 in and got a ruger security six and a little mini revolver. The big revolver shoots so good I don't think my next gun purchase is going to be an auto.

Oh, who am I kidding, I'll probably get one of each!

fed168

I still would not feel outgunned by carrying two revolvers. That said, I currently carry a 4506 and a 442. In my off time I carry the Glock 36 and the 442, dress permitting.
Nothing wrong at all with the revolver. A good .357 magnum is just as feasible as a .45, IMO. So you give up two or three rounds depending on your magazine. Carry a couple speedloaders or strips.
I still like them even though I grew up in the "auto" era.
Carrying two J frames makes sense: same operation, same reloading devices, etc.
Plus you don't have a ton of steel about the waist.

VictorLouis

A trainer that I have a lot of respect for carries two in the exact manner you describe. His site is a wealth of good info: http://home.earthlink.net/~spwenger/spwenger.html

My 442 is an always, and I 'think' I will be packing the M12 or the M66 more often, soon. Both lighter, and easier to conceal(IMHO) than just about any auto. In the case of the 66, you can't argue with the cartridge.

JimFox

New York Reloads

Mostly I carry an auto, but on ocassion dress dictates JMB should take a smoke break. Then, for balance I will pocket - or pocket and belt - carry a S&W 37 and S&W 38. Wish I had two of the Model 38's - but I don't. They'd balance nicely in two opposit side pockets.