Mule Ear Lock?

ops

Can a TC mule ear lock/hammer be replaced by a normal lock/hammer without cutting on the stock? PLEASE, PLEASE advise!

Hawg

Might fit with a minimum of inside wood removal but you'll have to change the
breech plug too.

This isn't a TC but it should give you some idea of what you're up against.

oldmule1.jpg

arcticap

Is this the conversion mule ear lock that you want to swap out?

http://pioneerarms.tripod.com/id3.html

Does it have this lock plate installed?

http://pioneerarms.tripod.com/id11.html

Does it have 1 or 2 lock bolts?

Whether the lock can be easily reinstalled depends on how much the stock was altered when the kit was first installed.
I don't know if this mule ear kit had any design changes over the years that they've been offered or not. Maybe you can ask the outfit that sells the lock for more details.
Do you know whether your rifle was originally a TC flinter or not?

Maybe it would be worth more money with the mule ear lock installed unless the barrel or lock is bad.
Why not just sell the gun and the stock and use the money towards buying what you really want. Folks may pay more for the mule ear lock, stock & barrel than you'll pay for the replacement.
One place to sell the barrel and/or stock separately is on eBay.
Or list it in the classified ads at the top our own BP forum page.
Can you show us a picture of your rifle?
Is there anything wrong with it? :)

Last edited:

ops

Lend an ear.

Thanks, great pic articap. I want a sidelock black powder rig and "mule ear", I came to find out, was an incorrect reference (in this case) to a standard percussion lock hammer tip shaped such that it just won't accomodate scope mounting. Some earlier (this century) rifle makers didn't take scope mounting into account. Not that I want a scope on a muzzleloader anyway because the only deer I ever bagged/fired at with black powder was 80 yards open sights from a hawken. Besides, with double set triggers and practice one needs not a scope at all. Wish I'd kept it. So, to reaquire my pride and interest in being traditional I'm returning to traditional. Just not willing to pay $600 for one. I'll be putting my inline up for sale. It's a high accurate gun, 5 shot groups at 100yds of 1/2 MOA with 310 grain lead slugs. But it's not even remotely old-timey, except for powder and cap.