Mule deer vs Winchester

Jack O'Conner

This photo shows me and a dandy buck taken within the Black Hills before antler restrictions were enacted. I located the buck with my binoculars and made a long stalk in rough country to get into 30-30 range. Distance was about 125 yards. At the shot, the buck bounded away but toppled over after a few jumps. We prefer hunting in western South Dakota over other states because of the easy access to vast public lands and the excellent game populations there. My buddies always whine about me taking the Winchester on my western hunts. "You should buy a 270", they say. But this angle-eject carbine has never let me down and stalking within good shooting distance is half the fun. I feel that it is a myth that only long shots are possible for western hunts. 30-30 is a keeper!

Jack

ms6852

I've hunted half my life with a 30-06 and the other half with a 30-30. You can't go wrong with a 30-30 at all. Great buck, thanks for sharing. Venison jerky is one of my favorites of all time along with the rest of the meat.

Last edited:

doofus47

Colorado Redneck:
Nice story. Thx for sharing. Stalking is 50% of the fun. Eating the meat is the other 50%

I thought you were going to pull a Yogi Berra:
Stalking is 50% of the fun. Eating the meat is the other 90%

reynolds357

I like a .30-30. I bought one many years ago because it was cheap. Now they cost more than most bolt rifles. Funny how times change.

Doofus--:D Yogi had it right! I like your take on the fun better. Eating the meat goes on all year long. We're eating very little store bought meat.

Drm50

I have shot a lot of deer in my life and owned a lot of rifles. I only have about 28 deer class rifles left. Most of my deer hunting is done in eastern woods and I have shot more deer with 30/30 & 35Rem than the rest of them combined. My
farthest shot was in 150yd range and a shot like that is hard to come by. I have
never had a problem killing deer with a 30/30. My furthest deer shot was 250yds with a BA 308/scoped. My LV rifles all have reciever sights or irons. In thick stuff
you don't need anything bigger, most shots are under 100yds.

musicmatty

Great post ! I have a 1989 Winchester angle eject Ranger model (Birch wood) with a fixed 4X power scope. I’ve taken plenty of whitetail and one black bear with this fast handling Lever action carbine in the Maryland - Pennsylvania - West Virginia region over the years. I also have the 1969 Winchester commemorative ‘Golden Spike’ lever action model with no scope. I have only taken it out for one deer hunt and was successful with it.

All my Deer have been taken within 100 yards or less and this has been my own personal preference. I prefer one clean shot through the neck for an instant kill. This is why I prefer using a scope to ensure that kind of success an accuracy. For me personally, anything outside 100 yards lives another day unless it comes in closer… But that’s just my preference and certainly not to be pushed off on anyone else.

With the parameters that I set for myself to operate in, the lever action 30-30 Is my number one ‘go to hunting rifle of choice.

Attachments

• 6CD29555-E6C1-4E5E-8EEA-0F92AD15418C.jpeg
    6CD29555-E6C1-4E5E-8EEA-0F92AD15418C.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1C15E982-DDC5-4F51-A933-666D44E9F9BC.jpeg
    1C15E982-DDC5-4F51-A933-666D44E9F9BC.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

LineStretcher

I shot my first Mule Deer with a Model 94 30-30 my dad bought me in 1963. I have no idea where that rifle is today but I did find one exactly like it and even a 1963 at an Estate Sale in Reno, NV. The thing is like new and I only shot it just for the memories and then I put it away. Whenever I open the safe I see it and think of my dad and that big buck. Mine is a top eject so no scope.

musicmatty

I shot my first Mule Deer with a Model 94 30-30 my dad bought me in 1963. I have no idea where that rifle is today but I did find one exactly like it and even a 1963 at an Estate Sale in Reno, NV. The thing is like new and I only shot it just for the memories and then I put it away. Whenever I open the safe I see it and think of my dad and that big buck. Mine is a top eject so no scope.
Wow.. what a great memory to have an thanks for sharing. I love stories like that one!