MP Rifle

LAH

If you could build a multi-purpose rifle what would it be? I’ve been studying the Anschutz 64 MPR below & hear talk on the web of people using them for this & that so I’m wondering about the same type rifle only center fire.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Ansc...gHYbeqgGahICoDA&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1066&bih=516

Perhaps something to use off the bench, standing or prone, even in the field for varmints or long deer, nothing larger. If you visit other sites you may see this same thread as I’m looking for as much thought as possible from you guys.

Last edited:

GTlefty

I had a 'multi-purpose' rifle back when I only had one centerfire rifle. An 11lb rifle with a 8-32 scope was annoying deer hunting but it was all I had and it worked. Now I'm more interested in rifles that specialize.
But if you are going for multi-purpose, you may as well start with accuracy, then start compromising.

LAH

I want a tackdriver. Bolt repeater. 11 pound limit for me. 6 or 6.5MM. Just a few of the things that enter my mind.

allaroundhunter

I understand you can't reload .22lr, if you could then maybe I would have some to shoot ;).... But I was asking if he does or if he was going to before I made a recommendation.

LAH

Do you reload?

Loaded my first 1973. Mostly 22-250 & 30-06 through the first 20 years. I shot HP Rifle Silhouettes with a 700 Remington Varmint in 308. That was close to an all purpose rifle & could be with perhaps a different stock. I do shoot an 30-06 & .223 both 700 Remington Sporters, these are my go to shooters & the bulk of my reloading are for these. Shot 1000 yard IBS for a couple years with a 6.5X284 but that rifle could hardly be called multi-purpose weighing 16.5 pounds.

I have thoughts on an all purpose rifle which for me means shooting first & hunting second. While such a rifle could be used in club competition & such it would mostly be used to further ones skills & for the pure enjoyment of different types of shooting.

Picher

I have a Rem 700 BDL Stainless, .270 Win, in a take-off H.S. Precision, Sendero stock that works well as an all-around rifle. There's a lot of space between the standard barrel and the forend, but I don't care. It gives me a nice, full forearm, but a relatively standard buttstock design.

I have another stock, a stocky's stock Ultra-Walnut for looks, but the Sendero stock is nearly indestructable, so that's what I hunt with. Funny, both stocks shoot to the same POI.