Moving

Bucksnort1

What a task I have at hand packing all my loading equipment and components, especially loaded ammunition and bullets.

I'm moving to Gilbert, AZ, where you never have to SHOVEL THAT DAMN SNOW. I've been storing bullets in those small gray stackable bins Harbor Freight sells. I can't take a chance of stacking them in a box and having them spill so I found some small clear, with lockable lids, plastic containers at Big Lots. One container will just hold 100 .429 bullets and 100 or more .357, .223, 243 and .308. Loaded cartridges are not a problem because they are in containers with lids that either snap on or have lockable handles.

I guess this dilemma is what I get for taking advantage of smokin' deals on bullets and the thousands of pieces of brass I've found.

Any suggestions?

lamarw

I moved out of the snow and into the sun just over seven years ago. Congrats on your new sanity.

I had to move over 150 antique clocks along with all my clock repair tools, parts, and benches. I know the anxiety of it all. This in not to mention all the furniture, other collectibles, classic car and etc.

You can get large plastic tubs at WalMart. They are grey color and will hold a lot of components. They are also stackable until they are packed and after the move. I still have about sixty of the things.

Bucksnort1

lamarw,

Thanks for the response and thanks for the congrats on my new sanity. I've been there in the winter and summer so I'm familiar with the weather. My daughter and her family live in Gilbert. Many years ago, my wife and I were in Gilbert for a visit. We ate lunch at a small restaurant. The owner came to the table to greet us. I made the stupid statement, "it sure is hot", to which he replied, "yes, but you don't have to shovel it." I think about this often, especially when we have a dumping like the past couple of days.

I have a handful of large plastic boxes, of various sizes and shapes, I will be using for reloading stuff and other items in the house.

I will send an email to you. I have a question for you about moving.

FITASC

I have used old canvas lead shot bags for brass and bullets before (still use them to segregate primed and unprimed brass). Old coffee cans with a screw lid work as do clean empty paint cans.

At one time I moved 25 times in ten years; the last one was in 2004 from NV to FL. The moving company doesn't take hazmat stuff, so my pickup was loaded with gas cans, primers, powder, ammo and household cleaners and similar stuff. Tens of thousands of rounds of ammo, kegs of powder, etc.
Ammo cans, big storage tubs that Sam's/Costco sells in three packs, etc - all with a blue tarp over it for the entire trip. I did have to go around Hoover Dam; they weren't going to let me across the top with a rolling bomb of a vehicle.

Once you move, it'll be like Christmas as you get surprised by things you thought were lost and then found!
Good luck on the move. (I moved for the same reason you did, no more snow shovels necessary)

Doyle

Do you have a high-volume reloading shot dealer anywhere near you? The reason I ask is that lead shot (for shot-shell reloading) is delivered in REALLY sturdy wood crates. They would make nice, secure crates for moving heavy lead bullets. The local dealer down here just gives them away.

kilimanjaro

Sounds like you have a first world problem, for sure.

You're going to love the Sonoran Desert, it's a unique landscape.

Your next first world problem is going to be the illegals sleeping on your porch in the morning.

The other reply to 'It sure is hot', is 'Yes, but it's a dry heat'.

You'll never get used to it if you run air conditioning other than at night.

FrankenMauser

My best, universal piece of advice:
Use small boxes.

The largest box that I will transport bullets or ammunition in is about 10x10x10 inches (or close to a 12-pack of bottled beer). Most are about half that size. It means more trips in and out of the house, but it's a lot easier on the hands and back.

For brass, tools, projects, parts, and many other things, I use Sterilite latching 'shoe boxes'.
The price is quite volatile with some retailers (often going from $30 to $60 overnight), but I usually buy a 12-pack about once a year for $20-25.

If you know anyone that uses Huggies baby wipes, the boxes (case-size) are very heavy-duty. While too big for filling with bullets, they're nice for other things in the reloading/gun room.

FITASC

If you know anyone that uses Huggies baby wipes, the boxes (case-size) are very heavy-duty. While too big for filling with bullets, they're nice for other things in the reloading/gun room.

Same for the rectangular buckets the dishwasher "pillows" come in

g.willikers

I save the plastic containers from those little dishwasher packets, too.
Very sturdy with good lids and well sized for bullets and brass.
Don't sweat the heat, :) the older you get the better it feels.

Bucksnort1

Doyle and FrankenMauser,

I had not thought of the high volume shot idea. I'll check but for now, I'm doing what FrankenMauser suggests - small boxes. I found a bunch of small boxes at a Dollar Tree store, which, as someone suggested, are a bit larger than a six pack container. If I use a larger box, I load a few heavy items in the bottom then add something lightweight for the top half. I have run out of lightweight stuff in the garage so I raided my clothing closet for extra pairs of jeans.

As the nose art on a P-51 in WWII stated, Cripes Amighty. I had no idea I have so much loading stuff.

Kilimanjaro,

You bring up an interesting point about illegals. I asked my son-in-law if there is a problem camping in the desert around Gilbert because of illegals. He said he's not aware of any problems that most of them are farther south toward Tucson.

I've always been attracted to the desert and drier climates. When dad was stationed at Ft. Bliss, TX, I thoroughly enjoyed being in the desert shooting BB guns with my buddies.