Moving...what about my guns/ammo?

Republicrat

So, I've hit an unforeseen snag in my moving plans.

We are relocating from PA to NV.

I find out that none of the moving companies we've looked at will move guns or ammo. Ammo I guess I understand, but unloaded and secured guns?

Any thoughts on what to do?

I have some long guns and hand guns and a few k of ammo.

AZ Med18

I have heard people that wrap the guns in blankets and put them in cardboard boxes like anything else and just dont tell the moving company. The ammo I uhh dont know what to tell ya thats kinda obvious.

Dingoboyx

I reckon

Put all the small guns & ammo in a wooden box screwed shut with 'rock collection' or 'gym weights' or something written on the box and say nothing. The long arms, take in your car if you are driving there when you move. You could even put the long arms in a golf bag (with a hood so they cant be seen)

Either that, or get it all insured and get them all transported via courier company to the care of a nearby gun shop (organise it from where you are now) to where you are moving. That way, if they get 'lost' or damaged, you get all new guns :D

CortJestir

You may need to drive them over -- unloaded, cased and locked, just to be on the safe side...

From US Code § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Just stay out of states that have laws that counter federal law (IL comes to mind)...

ETA: Whatever you do, don't do what's been previously recommended (you oughta know better fellas :p :D). Do it right and legally.

Republicrat

I've thought about just boxing them up and not saying anything...but it's probably not a good idea. I would hate for something to happen to them and then I could not claim the loss via insurance.

I also wondered about traveling through a state like Illinois....unfortunately it stands like a guard between PA and NV. I will have to divert way South to avoid it.

Not to mention that packing all this stuff in my small vehicle will take up a ton of room...

Anyone know of a way I can ship them to my new destination, or other suggestions?

jephthai

If they're unloaded, cased, and locked, then you should be safe in Illinois. If you have anything that's illegal in Illinois -- such as silencers, bullets harder than steel, etc. -- then you might time it so you don't spend any nights here. In such a case, you need to make it abundantly clear that you're just passing through so you're protected for interstate travel.

-Jephthai-

Lurch37

Depending on how many firearms you have, if it's prohibitive to take them in your car, could you rent say a UHaul trailer and lock them in there and tow it to you rnew residence? Also, if you have questions regarding traveling across states that aren't all that gun friendly, I have just called that particular states local police or state patrol office and asked them what I need to do to be legal.

levrluvr

I agree with jepthai- you won't have a problem here as long as they're unloaded, cased, and not accessible while driving. Ammo stored separate from the firearm, preferably in a locked or locked/latched case. A locked suitcase would work fine for your ammo. In a trunk is best if it's a car, farthest away from you if ina SUV or van.
Even if stopped for a traffic violation or accident, you won't be hassled if you explain that you are moving cross-country. The LEO's here in Illinois for the most part are pretty good guys, and even support passage of concealed carry we just can't seem to get past the libtards in Springfield.

4D5

Options...

You have received some good advise and some not so good. Whatever you do, keep it legal. It may cost you more than you anticipated but it's better to be legal than the alternative.

As suggested you could rent a Uhaul.

Depending on quantity of ammo you could ship to yourself.

You could rent a truck/suv and drive your stuff.

If it were me I'd want my blasters completely under my control.

When I moved it was only from Kalifornia to Nevada and I have a truck so I moved my ammo and guns myself.

What part of Nevada are you moving to?

And... welcome to the great state of Nevada where freedoms abound :D

KingEdward

I've transported long arms state to state unloaded (and no ammo in the vehicle).

They ride well in the trunk in a sleeping bag that is zipped up.

That was on the bottom, we put a quilt down over the sleeping bag and then
had a few light boxes on top.

Just looks like boxes on top of a quilt.

L_Killkenny

How are you getting there? How is your car/truck getting there? Just load em up and take em with you. Flying? Don't most airlines leave you the ability to check guns in?

You are worring about it too much. Solutions are easy.

dabigguns357

I did the same thing lurch mentioned when imoved from Al to WV.I rented the smallest uhaul they had and transported everything like that my self.Anything of value went with me personally like camera's guns,ammo,safes,photo's,and anything i didn't want let out of my sight.

Storm52

I moved 12 times during my railroad career. In each instance I moved my firearms, ammo, reloading supplies and setups. I was fortunate to have been able to make several trips and on occasion rented U-Hauls.
You can attempt to subvert the moving company regulations, but to your own peril should something happen to the truck, goods or be discovered.

NavyLT

I don't know why a moving company wouldn't move unloaded firearms. Every moving company that has a contract with the US Gov't does. They are required to move unloaded firearms for gov't moves. I had to have the gov't inspector come out and force the moving company to take my bullets and empty brass.

Republicrat

How are you getting there? How is your car/truck getting there? Just load em up and take em with you. Flying? Don't most airlines leave you the ability to check guns in?

You are worring about it too much. Solutions are easy.

I have quite a few guns, and then plus the ammo I'm not sure if they would fit in the vehicle. At least, they would fill it up quite completely. I'm not sure if it would work.

As far as the moving companies, I can understand the ammo but was shocked at not moving unloaded guns.

I also worry about theft out of the vehicle while it's parked at a hotel or such.

Still trying to plan this out...

brickeyee

Rent a trailer.

If you need more room rent a truck and tow the car (if you do not have enough drivers for everything).

oneounceload

I moved from NV to FL - wrapped up all my long guns in a box designed for hanging clothes - I had serial numbers and pictures, the box was secured with the packing tape, insured for over 25,000 and I placed marker "marks" over every seam so that I could tell if it had been opened. They all arrived unscathed. My ammo, gasoline, charcoal, and other flammables/explosives I carried in my pickup truck because they do not take those items

CatskillDraht

Hey fellas, just a thought, but wouldn't one option be to take em down to your local gun shop/range etc, you know, the place you've been buying/shooting/bulsh##ing all these years, talk to the guys who are your friends and are sad to see youre leaving and have them shipped ffl to ffl in your new home town? If you are only shipping them, not transferring them wouldn't a shop in your new town be willing to do that for a nominal fee thats not the normal transfer fee? This way its UPS, its legal, safe and insured? Just a thought.