Moving to Richmond, VA - Ranges, Laws, Things I should know?

darrentxs

It looks like I'll have to move to Richmond, VA in order to keep my job. I don't have much choice in this economy. The time-frame is likely this June.

I like to target shoot and have a modest collection of firearms. Will someone please recommend a good range, club, etc. I should check out. I'm primarily a handgunner.

Are there any laws I should be aware of? FYI, I am not a CCL holder in Texas, not a felon etc. I do keep a .38 in my car console sometimes, it's legal to do so in Texas.

darrentxs

Ok, well I'm up on the laws thanks to the good old NRA website. No big problems there, although the 1 gun per month seems a little goofy. I won't be able to keep a loaded gun in my car console anymore either.

It looks like a concealed carry permit is more necessary in VA than TX in order to protect yourself/others outside of your home. OK, I'll play by the rules. It could be MUCH worse.

I'm still looking for range suggestions if anyone has some. FYI - I was told to try and look for a place to live in the NW area of Richmond due to the work commute and general "good area" advice. Any ranges you'd recommend?

Thanks

alloy

i think with a permit one gun per month is eliminated. richmond huh?
it aint so bad.:rolleyes:

open carry is ok, only open in alcohol establishments, on the whole va is fairly gun friendly. lots of hunting...mountians, doves, tons of deer, etc. different than texas i imagine, but not exactly new york.

bring ammo, we are running low:)

Last edited:

2DaMtns

Yeah, with a CCW you can buy as many pistols per month as you want. It's cheap and easy to get them too, or at least it is in the county I live in. I think my course was $45, two hours long, and then the fee for the permit was $15. Beats the heck out of most of the fees I read about on here. I think it varies by county though, so your experience may be different than mine. Oh yeah, I think it only took 2 or 3 weeks to get my permit too. Pretty sweet all around.

Rmac58

Howdy, and welcome to central Va.
Ranges, Cavalier is full, I think, probably need to be a legacy amyway, that is NW of Richmond.
Blackcreek (Hanover, no web site) isn't too far away, but may be full by the middle of the year, I'm a member there, and can bring guests.
Va. Conservation Park is WAY over priced, and caters to shotguns mostly, but has rifle and pistol ranges. There is an indoor range close, never been there, and don't plan on going, after what I've heard about 'em.
You might as well get a CC permit, not a big deal. Buy more than one gun a month. Even if you don't, you can get a multiple handgun permit.

redrick

Don't keep that gun in your console, or any other place that it cannot be seen by a police officer, or it is consider concealed.

Black Creek Shooting Range is a outdoor range, membership runs $100. It might be filled by the time you get here.

Dominion Shooting Range is a indoor range, no membership is needed there. Lighting is poor there. You have to by there ammo there.

If you are going to be working in the city you need to get your carry permit as soon as you can. We were once rated #2 or #3 on the most murders, we are not close to that number now.

Western Henrico and Western Chesterfield are good areas to live, close to Richmond.

Greentop Sporting Goods is where most of us get our firearms. There is a Basspro and Gander Mountain store in the same area as Greentop.

Last edited:

alloy

Even the safety course can be waived with exceptions like hunter safety or military service, organized competition etc. Somehow i think my hunting liscence worked for me. 5 year permits, and a governor's election coming up that needs to be won unless Terry Macauliffe(former head of the DNC) is your idea of firearm-nirvana. Anyway, there are exceptions. :) Click on application for a...

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

darrentxs

Hey thanks folks!

I don't mind paying to be a member of a club. Hopefully it will mean less novices making handling mistakes like I see here at the public ranges.

I'll plan on getting a CCL when I get there. I should have gotten a Texas license a long time ago. I have no good reason to have procrastinated.

Once I get settled I'll post again. Perhaps some of us can get together and go shooting.

Moving is going to be a big change for me. I'm glad to know VA is gun ownership friendly territory.

I appreciate the responses! :)

ps, ty redrick, I'll check out Henrico & Chesterfield. I think my company is going to fly me in for a one week house hunt pretty soon. For me it will be an apt. with a garage hunt.

Last edited:

ZeSpectre

Things you need to know.
Richmond cops are still learning the law.
You NEED to join the VCDL.

Like anyplace, Virginia has some funny and confusing laws (especially regarding carry in restaurants) but the VCDL folks will set you straight. On the whole I believe (though I may be mistaken) that we're less restrictive than Texas.

darrentxs

VCDL - bookmarked! Thanks ZeSpectre, I'll join.

It's no April Fool's joke Brent. I made the mental flip of the switch already. I weighed the pros/cons and moving is my best option. Many of my co-workers will soon be unemployed. It's not the path I chose. I wish them well.

Virginny, Here I come! :D

chris in va

You can open carry in VA without a permit or residency status. Feel free to do so until you get your CCP. It also comes in handy if your shirt happens to ride up or gets blown open...no worries. Printing is no big deal either and has no legal ramifications, unlike Texas. Heck you could shrink wrap the gun on your side if you wanted.

One weird rule that Gov Kaine has twice shot down, you cannot conceal carry in an establishment that serves alcohol (ABC). You can OPEN carry, but risk getting a few eyebrows raised. We're hopeful a 2/3 majority might override his veto.:cool:

Also, unlike Texas...if you see a 'no guns' sign on a door, it's not a criminal charge if you carry in there anyway. They can ask you to leave, and if you refuse it becomes a trespass charge. That's it.

The CC course is easy and relatively short. Some don't even require range time. If you have a DD214 or hunters safety card, you can use that instead.

BTW I really think you'll like VA, at least certain parts of it. Try out some river fishing in the rapids. Smallmouth, shad, catfish etc. Just be careful choosing your house in Richmond, not the most savory place in the state.

johnbt

Hey. Watch that talk, I live in downtown Richmond.

But I grew up in downtown Baltimore and D.C., so what do I know.

John...in Richmond since '72.

jeffm2009

VA is pretty nice and I think you'll like it too. I'd avoid the gun in the glove box if you keep your insurance and registration in there too. Even with a CCP I personally prefer not to show a firearm when dealing with a police officer. You never know if some cops will consider that the reason to give you a ticket rather than a warning.

apr1775

Welcome to the area. I'm most familiar with the areas south of Richmond. Feel free to ask any questions. If you're into American history, you'll really enjoy Virginia.