Moving to Houston

Jeeper

I am going to be moving to Houston at the end of the summer and was wondering where the ranges are located. Also can anyone give me some advice on where to live. I was looking at the Humble/Kingswood area and the Pearland area. Are these areas OK. How is the traffic. I have been watching the traffic maps and don’t really want to live west. I will be working next to the U of H.

jadams951

I live and work on the west side of town. It's a pain...but you get used to it pretty fast and I moved here from a small, small town. The Humble/Kingwood area is fairly decent. But the traffic there is going to suck during rush hour. Pretty much everywhere in this city during rush hour is going to have heavy traffic.

Jeff OTMG

If you are working near the university you can get a good apt. in an area inside the 610 loop just north of the arena on Kirby. Nice gated complexes in a neighborhood of large homes and little traffic going to the university. I had a friend living in the area who worked at the U of H and she felt comfortable living there alone. Another advantage would be that you could just about walk to the BIG Houston gun shows.

jes1994

I second Jeff OTMG's recommendations. The last place I lived before my current place was on Cummins, just where Jeff suggested.

If you pick Humble, then the drive down to the UH area will be a total nightmare. Pearland would be somewhat better (288 does not get as crowded as 59 does).

coz

Well, just get to love traffic!

Westheimer, West of Hwy 6 is American shooting with all types of ranges (outdoor) pistol rifle and shotgun

Northside on Treshwig, Carter's Country. East of I-45 off of FM1960 Outdoor range, pistol, rifle and shotgun - They charge by the gun

Chimney rock just off of Richmond - Top Gun indoor range
$$$

Shooter's Station- Conroe on 105 - Great facility...by the hour pistol range....

Pasadena - On Shaw --- indoor range.

South Houston - Off of hwy 3 and monroe ---- indoor range

There is another on Wirt off of I-10 west....I'm sure there are more

I like Shooter's station for indoor. It's not overpriced, and it's a nice facility.

Carter's is fine, but I hate that they put tape on your trigger guard so they know they've charged you by the gun....plus mosquitoes can be bad there.

I've heard good things about American shooting off of Hwy 6 and Westheimer....

Welcome to Houston.

Jeeper

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to be buying a house so the area is somewhat important. I don’t want to live in a slum. The reason I was think about Humble/Kingswood was because I have been watching the live traffic maps and the 59 north to kingswood never really looked that bad. Thanks for all the tips on the ranges also. It sucks that I had to rip out my old reloading bench to move but now I get to build a new one. Any more tips on locations would be greatly appreciated.

Pigshooter

From Phoenix to H-town?

You are going to melt. You may think you know what hot weather is, but you'll remember this post all summer, LOL!