Moving Across State Lines, Ammo Question

Mainah

I'm moving from ME to NC soon. I'm pretty set on having the moving company transport all of my guns. I've got four revolvers, two rifles, and two shotguns. I have enough insurance to cover them, and it seems like less of a risk than bringing them with me and the dog in the car though MA, NY, and maybe NJ.

The moving company won't transport ammo. Is there any legal risk involved if I bring it? I've got a couple of 25 round magazines for my 10/22 that I though would be best to ship with the guns.

Msauter

While there is probably some legal risk (they frown on hollow point ammunition in NJ), I would just lock it up in a box or suitcase and roll on through.

If your car is missing a headlight, has a busted out window, stolen plates, or you like to drive at 80 mph while smoking a doobie or drinking a beer ... then maybe not.

TJB101

Will you be able to lock them in a ‘box’ that the moving company will use? I would be tempted to transport them with me, vs shipping company. Just put cable locks on each gun and don’t plan any stops in the unforgiving states. Lock up any ammo ... I’m dreading the day I will be faced with a similar event.

Good luck

Mainah

Will you be able to lock them in a ‘box’ that the moving company will use?

I've got an inexpensive safe with a lock. The moving company takes the serial numbers and I've got all the contact info I need from them. I was very selective in picking the company. It's not a perfect situation, but it came out on top when I did a risk analysis.

I can't get past the prospect of an accident or car trouble in NY or MA with guns. Doesn't seem worth the risk. I'll lock the ammo up in a tool chest and put it in my trunk.

kenny53

What a hassle living in the east. I am not sure I would trust the moving company with my guns. I believe I would lock them in a hard case and cable them in the trunk. Set curse control at the speed limit and hands placed at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. When was the last time you had an accident? Is your car in good repair? The chances of you having trouble are pretty slim. But that's just my thoughts on the deal.
Good luck on the move, hope it's works for the best,.

cjwils

"Set curse control at the speed limit and hands placed at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel."

I think some cops would tell you that a person driving exactly at the speed limit is a tip off to suspicious activity.

Nathan

Is there an opportunity to take a route a bit west to friendlier states? PA, WV, VA are much friendlier.

Nathan said:
Is there an opportunity to take a route a bit west to friendlier states? PA, WV, VA are much friendlier.
You cannot get out of New England (by car) without traversing New York. To miss New Jersey, you have to spend more time and miles in New York.

NoSecondBest

Even NY won't bother you if you're traveling through to get to a different state destination. As a general rule, keep your ammo in a different place than with the gun. Loaded mags, etc can be a bit of a problem.

Doyle

What the moving company doesn't know doesn't hurt them. They will not box them up for you but they will move boxes that you make and tape up (just not accept responsibility for any breakage).

Mainah

What the moving company doesn't know doesn't hurt them. They will not box them up for you but they will move boxes that you make and tape up (just not accept responsibility for any breakage).

It could, they have to travel through the same states. I'd just as soon follow their protocol. I think my collection is in the sweet spot, not valuable enough to steal- but valuable enough to move.

osbornk

Have you considered just shipping it to yourself, friend or relative? When you buy ammo online, it is brought by Fedex or UPS (don't remember if it is by one or both). If online sellers can ship it, why couldn't you?

Doyle

It could, they have to travel through the same states.

It isn't state laws they are concerned about. They have the same rules about boxing up flamables (including matches and lighters). We just went through this with our daughter and son-in-law.

44 AMP

Staff
Shipping loaded ammunition has its own set of DOT regulations.

Transporting your own ammunition has a different set of regulations.

Generally speaking transporting across state lines is covered under the 1986 FOPA (Firearm Owner Protection Act), as long as it is done in the approved manner.

Just how much ammo are we talking about??

Mainah

Several hundred rounds. A mix of shotgun shells, .30-30, .38, and .22.

You cannot get out of New England (by car) without traversing New York. To miss New Jersey, you have to spend more time and miles in New York.

Yeah, it's a pickle. The other consideration is the massive flow of drugs from MA, CT, and NY into ME. My plates could attract police attention.

USNRet93

I'm moving from ME to NC soon. I'm pretty set on having the moving company transport all of my guns. I've got four revolvers, two rifles, and two shotguns. I have enough insurance to cover them, and it seems like less of a risk than bringing them with me and the dog in the car though MA, NY, and maybe NJ.

The moving company won't transport ammo. Is there any legal risk involved if I bring it? I've got a couple of 25 round magazines for my 10/22 that I though would be best to ship with the guns.
Are they 'packed by owner'? After doing 17 moves while in USN, I would carry your guns with you..after checking applicable laws of the states you are traveling through.
I have done PBO stuff and have had the entire locked metal box stolen. Then the moving people give you the thousand yard stare when you ask about that PBO box.

I would also not pack or try to move ammo..just the unloaded guns.

Mainah said:
Several hundred rounds. A mix of shotgun shells, .30-30, .38, and .22.
That's not a lot, in the overall scheme of things. It's legal to ship ammunition by FedEx or UPS, but it's expensive, it must be declared, and it's a hassle. You can't ship ammo from the neighborhood UPS store -- it has to be taken to an actual UPS depot. For me, that's the difference of 2.5 miles to the UPS store compared to 25 miles to the nearest company shipping hub. If you were talking about thousands of rounds, then it might make sense to look at shipping. For a few hundred rounds -- including .22 rimfire -- IMHO it's not worth the bother and expense of trying to ship it. Either pack it up in an old toolbox with a padlock on it, or give/sell it to a friend in Maine and buy new when you get to North Carolina.

If you transport it, even though I don't think any law requires it if you don't have firearms in the car, I would be certain that all magazines are unloaded.

If you are going to have even one firearm with you in the car, the FOPA requires that the gun(s) "or" ammo be in a compartment that cannot be accessed from the passenger compartment (i.e. the trunk) or, if the vehicle has no trunk (a van or SUV), in a locked container. I put "or" in quotation marks because that's what the federal FOPA says. Several of the northeast states reproduce the FOPA is their statutes, with a potential gotcha: New Jersey and at least one other (don't remember which at the moment) changed "or" to "and" -- meaning that the gun(s) have to be in a locked container, and the ammunition must also be in a locked container.

They don't specify that the gun(s) and ammo have to be in separate locked containers but, when I've traveled through those states, I have approached it that way. I drive an SUV. The guns were in hard plastic gun cases, with small travel padlocks on each case. The ammo was in an old, metal, mechanic's toolbox with a padlock on it. Then everything was covered over with a mover's blanket, and my luggage and a couple of loose jackets were thrown on top.

Mainah

For a few hundred rounds -- including .22 rimfire -- IMHO it's not worth the bother and expense of trying to ship it. Either pack it up in an old toolbox with a padlock on it, or give/sell it to a friend in Maine and buy new when you get to North Carolina.

Thanks, there were thousands of rounds. I'm giving all my birdshot and most of my .22 rounds to a buddy here. He'll certainly make good use of it. I'll have plenty of moving and job stuff to deal with in NC, I'd like to arrive with a sufficient ammo supply for hunting and hd.

Several of the northeast states reproduce the FOPA is their statutes, with a potential gotcha...

It's all the equations involved in state and local variances that led me to conclude that making this trip without guns was the best option. Not ideal, but I'll only be on the road for two days and one night. I exceed that on business trips (involving flights) while unarmed several times every year. I've got a pretty good hotel room security plan. Plus I'll have my dog with me. He's not exactly intimidating, but he does bark.

The value of my collection is worth less than the potential legal costs and ramifications if something goes wrong. My wife is flying down and counting on my arrival, ensuring that is the biggest priority. But I do understand that I'm putting the guns at risk, they're insured.

I really appreciate the solid advice.