Movies

Its hard to find a decent video these days and I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations in the military or western category.
Watched Buffalo Soldier yesterday and thought it was good until the last 5 minutes, well if you haven't seen it I won't spoil it but it made me mad.

------------------
Drop by and visit at www.gun-center.com

Destructo6

How about, "A Shot through the Heart" which is about a Serb and a Muslim (Croat?) in Serejevo a few years back and is based on a true story. "Attack Force Z" and "Galipoli" are two of Mel Gibson's best in my opinion.

Lately I've been going through a lot of the older movies such as, "Lawrence of Arabia", "Ben Hur", "Spartacus", "All Quiet on the Western Front", etc.

Westerns: "High Noon", Eastwood's "Man with No Name" series and "Unforgiven" (my favorite), John Wayne's "Rio Bravo" and "The Searchers", and one of the newer ones, "Tombstone" (you're no daisy).

bruels

Well, there's Quigley Down Under. The Wild Bunch has been re-released in a special 30th. anniversary tape. Twelve O'clock High with Gregory Peck is a classic. Another one he did was Pork Chop Hill. The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum and Kurt Jergens is good. There's nothing like a good John Wayne flick. The Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood took an Oscar. George C. Scott in Patton. Midway with Henry Fonda. Das Boot is about as realistic a submarine flick as they get when it comes to portraying living conditions in a Type VII Unterseeboot.

That enough for starters?

------------------
Bruce Stanton

Jim V

ZULU
THE SHOOTIST
THE LIGHT HORSEMEN
A GATHERING OF VULTURES (Shot in Rhodesia)
A BRIDGE TOO FAR

chink

I put another vote in for Galipoli. its a great movie and pretty much historically accurate. at least i think thats what my teacher said 3 years ago, but I was asleep most of the time so I could be wrong

David Schmidbauer

Retired Screen Name
How about....

"The Last Outlaw" with Micky Rourke (sp?)
"The Wind and the Lion" with Candice Bergen (again sp?) (not really western nor military tho there are U.S. Marines in it and one hell of a protrail of Teddy the Great)
"The Rough Riders".. speaking of Teddy the Great. Meets the requirements on both counts.
"The Ghost & The Darkness" not really western... well... western Africa.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited May 16, 1999).]

Jim V

Schmit, I think that the WIND AND THE LION and THE ROUGHRIDERS were/are two of the greatest movies to feature Theodore. Brian Keith, who did not receive the credit he should have as an actor, played a great TR in TW&TL. He should have done a stage act playing Theodore like Hal Linden did Mark Twain.

Quote the Marine Captain:

"Company halt. Hostiles on the left of us.....Ready, aim, fire!"

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited May 16, 1999).]

KNIGHT

"Where Eagles Dare". A really good Richard Burton Clint Eastwood WWII spy flick. It has guns, bombs, and Clint.

------------------
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

David Z

"Savior" is a recent addition at the video stores. Very good, gritty Bosnian war drama that doesn't shy away from the difficult questions.

Paul B.

You will have to hunt for this one.
SOLDIER BLUE. Candy Bergen again, I forget who the male lead was. This one will p*$$ you off. About the massacre of peaceful Indians by our brave U.S. Cavalry. Based on actual events.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

MGB

Das Boot -- director's cut on DVD, Dolby Digital -- AMAZING! Watch it in German with English subtitles.

[This message has been edited by MGB (edited May 17, 1999).]

shortcut

In the Western genre, "The Quick and the Dead" with Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman and that DiCaprio fella (pre-Titanic) has been much overlooked. It's considered a classic at our house! :)

HS

Hey Clinton, what's with all these negative vibrations man?....

Stop with all these negative vibrations ! ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Some westerns on my favorite list that haven't been mentioned yet are:
The Professionals with Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster.
The Shootist, Big Jake, Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon - John Wayne movies
Stagecoach John Wayne version
Once Upon A Time In The West with Charles Bronson, Jason Robards, Claudia Cardinale and Henry Fonda

Kodiac

Some one mentioned SILVERADO - which is second only to TOMBSTONE for Western Flicks...

One that has yet to be mentioned:

THE BEAST

It is about a Russain Tank Crew that gets lost in Afganistan... Staring a real T-72 that shows off all its toys - including its 14.7mm heavy machine gun.
The opening includes a charge of a tank platoon into a village! You dont see that every day!

It is very much worth seeing.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Grayfox

"In the line of fire" clint Eastwood chases a crazy killer out to get the President. Ok, it's fiction, don't get your hopes up. ;)

Looks like I'll be getting a few videos out. Oh well the older ones are only $1 each. Just a cooment about Tombstone the town, is it the most tacky tourist place in America or what ?
All I saw was tshirt shop after tshirt shop and expensive food. I refused to pay and see where the famous gun fight was meant to have been.
Also is the cemetary there partly been faked ? are the people buried where the headstones say they are ? has it been made to look a bit better for tourists then.

------------------
Drop by and visit at www.gun-center.com