Movie Revolver question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This has probably been asked, but I couldn't find it. What revolver did Harrison Ford carry as Indiana Jones in the original movie? You know, the one he dispatched the swordsman with so wonderfuly

------------------
TJS

Bob S

That is an Excellent question. When I was a kid, me and my other gun toting wanna be's thought that was about the coolest gun around. It reminded me alot of the old Colt Army revolvers in .38, but for some reason, I always thought the gun Indy carried was a .45. To be honest, Im really not sure, my best quess is a Colt .45 double action revolver made sometime in the early 1900's -1920's. May have been Army issue??? But again, this is just a guess. I hope someone has actually knows the answer, because Im curious myself.

Reloader

It was a S&W Second Model Hand Ejector in .44 Special with a five inch Barrel. Had one like it and wish I had it back.

Grayfox

I beg to differ. According to a Guns and Ammo article I read some years ago, Indy's revolver was a Colt New Service in .45 Colt. This little tid-bit stuck in my head because I've always wanted one of those.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Whay about those revolvers in THE MUMMY?
Webley's?

------------------
"The rage is relentless... We need a movement with a quickness.
You are a witness of change and to counteract - We gotta take the power back!"

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

OK, now I'm really confused. I took it upon myself to surf some Indiana Jones websites and the only reference found was that it was a S&W model 1917 that had somehow been modified. I'm waiting for an e-mail from that fella as I asked for more background. I'll post his response if I get one. I rented the movie today and will be checking it out tonight. Purely research you understand. :)

------------------
TJS

Walt Welch

The American Rifleman addressed this issue some years back. The 'revolver' actually was of differing models, of both S&W and Colt manufacture. Apparently they just dialed up Stembridge Gun Rentals and said, 'send us a revolver,' and they got whatever was handy. Walt

nebob

its too bad that s&w doesn't make their mountain gun (44 or 45) in blue.
i just like that look.
mine in 44mag is such a sweet shooter.

John Lawson

I always thought that my fluteless blue .44 mag snubbie WAS a mountain gun and my stainless was a Classic. Those S&W model numbers confuse me.
Doesn't Stembridge rechamber all of their large frame revolvers for the all purpose .45 blank?

Mike H

The Brits made great large caliber revolvers, the Webley Mk.IV in .455 being perhaps the best known example, we ruin most of them by adapting the cylinder to accept rounds like the .45 ACP cartridge which is fine in a 1911 but doesn't properly engage the rifling in a .455 allowing gas bypass to cause damage. Another boring fact that may interest you, the British officers in 1914-1918 started the trend of boring out the center of the ogive on the heavy (about 260 gr) LRN bullets, these early hollowpoints were so effective as manstoppers that the Germans let it be known that anyone found in possession of them would be executed on the spot.

------------------
Mike H

John Lawson

Mike, I'm not trying to give you a bad time, and I'll admit that British officers are boring, but where did they find a drill press on the Western front? That unstable bullet did terrible things in flesh without a hollow point and anyway, velocity of 650 will not open out a hp much.
It was the Mk VI Webley. I turned my cylinder so it would accept .45acp in moon clips, but .45 auto rim cases don't need a clip to extract.
You are talking about .452 vs .454. You fire only moderate loads and use only lead bullets there is no blowby. Lyman mould #454424 sized to .454 is a perfect fit in the bore and loads into the case perfectly if you use the correct neck sizing plug.
My wife keeps ours in a kitchen drawer and, yes, she has used it to discourage an intruder. Something about an angry woman pointing a very large revolver.
I'm a shooter, not a militaria collector, so I turned the cylinder so I could shoot the beast with available brass.

David Wright

Walt's right. It was from Syd Stembridge. I'll try to find my photos from there, or call them Tuesday to find out.

------------------
David H. Wright
Bring this man a
goat and a bowl of fruit

After viewing the movie a few times this week, I'm now ready to post my judgement.

S&W Model 1917 (Commercial)

Thanks for all the effort everyone.

------------------
TJS

Mossyrock

Ok, my turn. Back in the mid-'80's, I talked to a guy who was involved with "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on the equipment side. He furnished the original flap holster used in the first movie. (Sorry, don't remember his name.) Anyway, there were two revolvers used in the first movie. They were both Smith and Wesson 38-44 Heavy Duty revolvers with "Gold Seal" grips. Both revolvers had four inch barrels. The first one shown in the movie had a custom barrel band front sight. You can get a good look at this one when he unwraps the revolver from the rag and tosses it into the suitcase. You can get a good look at the second one when Indy shoots the lock off of the airplane cockpit later in the movie; no barrel band front sight. How can you tell they are not 1917's? They have covered ejector rods (i.e. 38-44 Heavy Duty and .44 Triple Lock); the 1917 didn't have them. He used a Webley revolver and holster in the follow-up movies because (I was told) someone stole the first revolvers as souveniers. Maybe true, maybe not....

------------------
Mossyrock
I wasn't here. You didn't see me. Nobody can prove anything...

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Ahhhhthe correct answer is Harrison Ford SHOULD have carried a Colt 1917 new service army model in .45. But aside from that its cool to see old guns in new movies. Brendan Fraiser's arsenal in the Mummy was a glorious mix of webly's and 1911's, a ww1 winchester trench gun, early in the film an 8mm Lebel carbine etc etc etc.

Another great movie (even though its a modern setting) that features a ton of antique fire arms was the Mari van Pebbles flop called GUNMEN (with Dennis Leary as the heavy. Silly action flick flair, bun check out Mario's 1912 Steyr 9mm an other anachronisms.

Dr.Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.