Mounting optics on a Mini-14 Ranch

SpyGuy

I have a Mini-14 Ranch (model K-Mini-14/5RP) on order--hopefully it will be here next week. But rather than wait for it to arrive, I'd like to start getting answers now regarding the mounting of optics on this rifle.

I understand the Ranch model comes with rings, but I'm unsure how they mount to the receiver. Is there a one-piece base or do the two rings mount separately? If there is a one-piece base, is it weaver style? And does using this mount preclude the use of the iron sights?

I've read that the Mini isn't terribly accurate and that the .223 isn't very effective at long range. So this is what I have in mind: I have a Bushnell Holosight II that I'm considering mounting on the Mini. For close-in target engagements, I'm thinking that the fast-acquiring, 1X-power, "point-and-shoot" Holosight might be a more useful optic than a magnified scope. However, I'd like to also retain use of the iron sights, either by using a sight-through mount or a quick-release mount.

Opinions or advice?

rugerfreak

The rings mount right to the receiver----you'll see when you get it. The Holosight won't mount with the rings that come with it-----but Wiegand makes a mount that fits on the receiver.

DRC Custom

To get any accuracy out of a factory barrel in 223 you have to cut off the last two inches, target crown ,and remount a front sight or break that gets the barrel back to legal length, the factory barrels we have measured are all larger in the last inch than in the rest of the bore . This is most likely due to the hammer forged barrel prossess they are using, or not cutting any extra material off the barrel blank. At any rate you can usually cut your groups
in half by shorting the barrel and shooting black hills 55gr ammo.
We have done more than 250 now and only had 2 that showed no sign of improvement.
Dave,

Jamie Young

I can put all of my rounds from a Hot barrel into a 3ft target at 400yds with my Stainless Steel Ranch model. 3 MOA with a .223 round can get just about get you out that far.

Have FUN!!!

dalpra

Get the Weigand scope mount for use with the Holosight.It requires removing the rear peep sight, but is an easy task.

SpyGuy

That's two votes for the Weigand

But isn't there any Holosight-compatible mount that would also allow me to keep iron sights on the rifle? (Not necessarily the factory iron sights.)

Even without a sight-through or quick release mount, it would still be far better to be able to remove the Holosight and have a set of iron sights ready and zeroed. If the rear sight must be removed, that option goes away.

rugerfreak

The mounts are fairly "quick release"---just keep a nickle in your pocket---to use as a screwdriver. You don't remove the iron sights---the rear sight flips down----and good luck removing the front-----just leave it there. There are aftermarket rear sights---but I'm not exactly sure who makes them-----I only use the scope----a 1X4 Redfield Golden Five Star.

SpyGuy

Rugerfreak, you didn't specify which mounts you use but I'm assuming you're referring to the factory mounts that come with the rifle. (Is this correct?)

The problem is, I would like to mount a Bushnell Holosight; this unit requires a weaver-style base.

rugerfreak

The Weigand base mounts right to the Ruger bases milled into the receiver and will give you the Weaver slots to mount the Holosight----how the Weigand base attaches---I'm not sure----could use a hex key or regular screwdriver.

Yes---I use the factory mounts.

Just checked the Weigand web site----the mount uses allen wrenches-----so not all that much of a quick detach option.

SpyGuy

Just checked the Weigand web site----the mount uses allen wrenches-----so not all that much of a quick detach option.

I was thinking more of quick-detaching the Holosight from the base, not detaching the base from the receiver. I was hoping I could just pop off the Holosight (it uses a single allen screw to clamp to the weaver-style base) and have the iron sights still on the rifle, ready to use.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
DRC Custom, is this barrel problem something rather new? I've had four Minis, but none newer than maybe fifteen years back on the "late models". I always got roughly 1-1/2 to at worst 2 MOA from them, with a Weaver K4 and J. Random Anywhere ammo.

Art