Mounted a Mag Spark on my quicky-twist

Just got done installing a Mag Spark 209 A-dapter on my quick-twist G/M-LRH 45 cal Hawken barrel. Have a jug of Triple 777 (loose) I want to try with some PR brand sabot and 250 gr bullets. In the past I've tried H/Made 2-FF, Gorex 2-FF, and Pyrodex RS. None gave me the results I expected in my LRH barrel. I'm hoping this time for better accuracy from Triple 777. And it being fired up with a Federal 209.

Will I incur a problem in my use of a 209 primer touched off thru a traditional barrels snail and breech firing channel?

S/S-McG

Pahoo

Good luck and get back to us !!!

Will I incur a problem in my use of a 209 primer touched off thru a traditional barrels snail and breech firing channel?
You are indicating an ignition problem and I don't see how you will encounter one. When working with these, I'm more concerned with an alignment problem into the hammer cup. In most cases you are fine but have had to realign on two occasions. I have never worked with a Pedersoli, only the Mag-Spark. .... :)

Might add that I only use #11s and Musket, on "my" traditionals; just a personal choice. .. :)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

noelf2

Might add that I only use #11s and Musket, on "my" traditionals; just a personal choice. ..

I do too, but I got some of the Pedersoli 209 converters just in case I need to exercise that option one day.

This is the first time I've strayed from the usual #11 CCI. The barrel in question is a 1-28 twist Long Range Hunter G/Mtn and originally factory fitted with a #11 H/Shot nipple. Might say: Inline capabilities having a traditional breech firing. So I thought why not step up its speed with some Triple 777. Thus the need for 209 ignition. No mention in the barrels G/M Instructions about swapping out the standard nipple for a Mag Spark 209 A-dapter. Just wanted to know if its stock breech plug is capable of handling a 209s flame verses a little #11s?

FrontierGander

of course it can handle the extra flash from the 209 adapter. I had the mag spark adapter for a cva rifle a couple years ago, it lasted 7 shots before it ripped open and flew forward off my gun. Turns out the machinist that was making them at the time thought it was a good idea to add one extra thread and weaken the bottom of the adapter :eek: It was easier to just switch to goex to avoid misfires after that :D

FrontierGander

Gee's I hope Mag Spark got that problem resolved over the years that you witnessed. I was surprised to see that Mag Spark doesn't recommend the use of Winchester 209 primers in their enclosed nipple either. Looks like I'm headed over the Ballistic Products later today for some Federal primers to stay within Mag Spark guidelines. {If it ever stops raining here that is.} BTW thanks for the comment no doubt what you threaded is helpful to know prior to pulling the trigger on mine. [yesiree eye squinting time]

FrontierGander

Wow!!

I was comparing the spare nipple I bought with the defect one you posted. To my eye. I don't see much difference in either's machining. So that leads me to believe I'll have to keep watch for stress cracking. Thanks for the heads up.

Sure Shot- I use both #11 and musket caps with loose 777. They both set the charge off just fine. The very missfires I've had (only with #11s) were do to me and my slow learning. I see no need for a shotgun primer to get positive ignition.

North East Redneck

Really?_ I didn't have to purchase those Mag Spark nipples after all. I always thought it was said Triple 777 pellet or loose preformed best as did Black Horn with 209 ignition. I just didn't want to chance a hang fire in a traditional breech is the reason I ordered a couple Mag Spark's. Another spendy lesson learned. Oh well it could have been worse.

Pahoo

Added weather protection !!

I see no need for a shotgun primer to get positive ignition.
Nor I but Sure-Shot is going after a problem and so be it. One thing they provide, is added weather protection then just using the "open" 11s and Musket. One year I installed five for a group of Side-lock hunters that go hunting, in bad weather. .... ;)

I didn't even know those things existed.
They use to be more popular a few years back and not sure much now since most have gone to closed breach and dedicated - 209s. ..... :(

Be Safe !!!

noelf2

One thing they provide, is added weather protection then just using the "open" 11s and Musket.

They also don't throw a bunch of fire and bits of copper like an exposed musket cap. I put a couple musket nipples on my 10 gauge double and if I'm not careful I'll get some irritating little burns on my hand from the hot gasses and metal bits. That sort of thing can help you develop a flinch.

kwhi43

I made this about 45 years ago. Made several. It uses a small pistol primer
I used it in my Thompson Center Hawken.

763f871ad0872ca56ebf3cc0c99c8441.jpg

kwhi43@kc.rr.com

Ain't that something. That's got to be to oldest Mag Spark'er nipple in existence. Those other guys stole your idea friend. Well if I'm ever asked who invented Mag Spark's. I'm gonn'a say "kwhi43@kc.rr.com!!!" from now on. 45 years ago _ uff-da!! Thanks for the pictures Sir.

Pahoo

No Sir. No musket here. Just a Green Mountain LRH 1-28 twist barrel that replaces my 45 cal T/C Hawkens stock barrel. I never got good results in its use of Pyrodex RS loose and #11 caps. Always seemed like I had more un-burnt powder flying out its muzzle then burning within the barrel and breech. So I installed this Mag-spark 209 nipple/adaptor and bought me a pound of triple 777 2-FF (loose) to try out. Having a closed breech. I know I can't measure the same volume of powder shot thru a today's inlines. As this barrel its having a closed breech and still has Powder Charge Limits identical too my traditional barrels limits. {even though its entirely made of stainless steel.} What I had hoped to accomplish with its new 209 nipple was to burn the majority of what (propellent) I do decide to pour down its bore.

BTW: I never in all the years I've hunted ever had a #11 Cap get wet when walking about or sitting stationary in the rain or snow. But I have lost my fair share of Caps falling off their nipple and were not aware of their doing so.