Mountain Gun vs. Standard 4" .44 Mag

frontlander

Howdy. I'm in the market for a 4" 629 .44 Mag. I have fired the Mountain Gun and was impressed by its accuracy and handiness. It does have quite a bark and bite. Is there any advantage of going with the standard 4" barrel? It seems that a bit more weight up front might tame the recoil a bit, but would be heavier on the belt. Is there any difference other than weight between the two guns? I'm looking at a 629-5 for $425 with around 100 rds. through it but in excellent shape and a Mountain Gun in similar condition for $450. I plan on using this as a carry gun. Thanks.

h2o 5o

Well, IMO, a .44 Mag is too much for a carry gun, unless you are referring to woods carry. If you do contemplate CCW, I would recommend using either a medium velocity Magnum or .44 Special. Either way, recoil is substantially less than full power loads, so the weight difference may be negligible in terms of recoil. If you are referring to a woods gun, I would think the weight difference in the Mountain Gun would make a much more tolerable load for all day carry.

Personally, I have a 629 Mountain Gun that I keep loaded with .44 Special CCI-Blazer Gold Dots. They are unbelievably accurate. When I venture out-of-doors, I load up with Federal 180 gr. Magnum full house loads.

I don't know what grips come with the standard 629, but I changed the open backstrap Hogues on my MG to a Pachmayr Gripper, that covers the backstrap. Much more tolerable now.

Ledbetter

Check the balance of both in your hand

The extra weight up front affects the balance of the gun when you shoot AND as it sits in the holster. Make sure whichever you pick is compatible with your method of carry. I have a Mountain Gun .44 and wouldn't carry it except outdoorsin an open holster. Just too much power for CCW--I don't want to shoot the guy in the next house over. I can't think of a reason to carry the extra weight of the "standard" 629. YMMV.

Regards,

Ledbetter

700PSS Shooter

I too use the .44 Special CCI-Blazer Gold Dots in my Mountain Gun. Great round. In .44 Mag I like the PMC 180gr. Not too bad. I really wanted the .45LC, but they were not available and the used .44 was a great price. FOrmer owner shot 6 rounds and sold it. :)

Ledbetter is right on the holster issue. I prefer a non-thumbbreak or no strap holster. None of those available hold the thinner barrel of the Mountain Gun securely. Had to go to an Uncle Mike's strap.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a carry gun, but
I own and use a Smith & Wesson pre-sellout 629-5 Classic
.44 Magnum with a 5" barrel.:) You would not believe how
slick the action is!!!:D Better than any Smith, I have
ever owned.:rolleyes: Of course, who is going to fire the
.44 Magnum in double-action fashion anyway?:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Badger Arms

The Mountain Gun is a good carry package but is NOTICEABLY more difficult to control. Muzzle flip, recoil, and shot recovery time are enough greater that I think they outweigh the weight reduction. You only lose about two ounces to my recollection and those are in the critical muzzle area that control flip. You won't notice the difference on your hip.

Badger Arms

I agree. Why not 44 magnums? I'd use the Glaser's or Magsafe or some other lightweight load that would expand rapidly and punch a big ugly hole. If animals are your intended target, choose a good penetrating round like flat nosed or hardcast solids.

Zorro

DA 44 Mag.

Well IF you plan on using it against Bears you had better practice with it Double Action!

Its not that hard to do just takes practice. I can unload mine in about 1 second into a pie plate at 10 yards.

I have the M29-2 in 4-inch barrel; a shoulder holster makes the extra weight easy too carry. ;)

M

M58

I have both in the .41 mag flavor. I carry the MG more because of weight AND it feels better balanced in my hand. YMMV :)

Anthony

Sorry G33,

I have to disagree here.

Buy the full weight revolver. You are buying it to shoot .44 Magnums out of. If you're going to shoot .44 Specials buy a Model 696 or an older Model 24. The difference in shooting comfort is substantial. In my hands, an identically sized Model 57 in .41 Magnum with a four inch barrel has minimal muzzle rise with full house (210-grain at 1300 fps) loads.

Perhaps I am the only one, but I picked up a Mountain Revolver and put it back down. It was way to light in the muzzle for me. I'd rather have a well designed shoulder holster or a good belt rig before I'd take a lighter revolver.

- Anthony

M

M58

Depends on the use; the heavier the gun the more it absorbs;

But, I read that he wanted a carry gun?