Mountain Gun or Blackhawk

cnemeth

After about 9 months of waiting I should be getting my NYC target handgun permit this week.
A few weeks ago a saw a NIB Ruger .357 Mag Blackhawk 6.5" barrel and high-gloss ss finish. I really like this gun and I've always wanted one. Since Ruger does not make high-gloss Blackhawks anymore I might not find another one.
Lately I've been reading all the posts on the new S&W 625 Mountain Guns, and they look great. I've also always wanted a 625.
My permit will initially allow me the purchase 1 handgun. I can get others but there is a long delay in the NYC approval process to buy another handgun. I will mainly be using the gun for range shooting and maybe some competition. I'd like to get involved in cowboy action or IDPA/ISPC matches. I'd actually be very happy with either choice, but I might regret not buying the other gun.
If you had to choose, which one would you buy and why?

Thanks

Chris Nemeth

Gunslinger

I agree, the Smith will be much more versatile. Of all the things you mentioned the 625 would be the better choice with the exception of CAS.
FWIW. It is down right criminal that the state laws create a situation to even have to raise this question. :(

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

stdalire

Hi! Everyone.

So, you plan to have the .357 Mag Blackhawk as an additional to your first handgun of S&W 686 Plus. That is a good gun, I like it too, only it is big for my small hands.

That will make two of your lovable handgun now a total of three guns including your Marlin 1894 CS .357 Mag rifle. How would that be now, you said that your permit will initially allow you to purchase 1 handgun. Do they still allow you to buy one.

cnemeth

Stdalire

NYC has seperate permits for both handguns and rifles (yesy you need a permit to buy a rifle in NYC).
In NYC you can buy a handgun before the permit is finalized. The gun stays at the range that you are a member of and is still under their name. Once your permit goes through (you have to purchase a handgun within 30 days), the gun is then transferred into your name.
The range that I belong to is going through a change of ownership. Normally this is not a problem, but this time the city decided to follow (soome people beleive exceed) the city laws and regulations to the letter. Since the new owner has not been fully approved yet, all of the guns belonging to the range wew confiscated by the city, and effectively closed the range. The range has recently won a court ruling against the city, so the guns will be returned soon and the range can reopen for shooting. When it does open, however, the range cannot act as a dealer until the new owner is approved. Because of this, the cannot transfer guns to another's name. I'm not sure how long this will be until everthing is straightened out.

Chris Nemeth

Master Blaster

Hi Cnemeth,

What happens if you move to New York from another state and already own 12 guns?

Are you forced to sell them or can you get a permit. I know that ordinary citizenes are not allowed to carry handguns in NYC.

That must be because the givernment in the PRNYC feels that we do not handle them as safely as the NYCPD. After all how many civilians do you know who can put 17 rounds into a fellow human being without being certain he had a gun, or actually having been fired upon.

muleshoe

Is anybody else here really glad they don't live in NYC? Permits, permits, permits!! WOW!!

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

RWK

I urge you to consider the S&W 627. It is very similar to the 625 (robust, rock-solid "N" frame, all stainless material, and so forth), but it is chambered for the .357 magnum/.38 Special rather than the .45.

A few months ago, I was carefully evaluating the Ruger GP-100 versus Smith 686. I then discovered the "N" frame Smiths (including the 625 and the 627), which I believe are the "best of both worlds": the durability of the Ruger GP-100 and the "sweet" feel of the Smith 686.

I opted for the 627 because the .357 magnum/.38 Special combination seemed to be a lot more useful than the 625's .45 ACP. Now I own a Sig P-220 and a Kimber Custom/Classic 1911A1 -- both in .45 ACP -- so this is NOT a slam at a wonderful, proven, world-class round. However, I did not want to constantly use "moon clips" and .45 loads other than .45 ACP are very difficult (and expensive) to procure. Therefore, I decided the Smith 627 was a better choice than the S&W 625.

I selected the "Limited Edition" S&W 627: all stainless, five-inch barrel with full under-lug, gold-dot sight. It is a WONDERFUL firearm -- very accurate (by far the best groups at 50 feet I've ever shot), great grip, beautifully manufactured, stainless steel forgings that are superbly machined, extremely reliable, easy to maintain, and guaranteed for life by S&W. In addition, the .357 magnum/.38 Special accommodates a very wide variety of rounds for many purposes.

Steve Smith

cnemeth, I know that the mere thought of moving is close to rediculous, but is there any way at all? I just couldn't live like that. Buy a nice place in the country and commute every day? Is that possible?

cnemeth

I'm not sure how that would work Master Blaster, but I assume it would be a pain. After the first handgun, each additional one rquire a new purchase order to be approved. Lately the city has been taken several months for these this to be done.

Frontsight: NYC is the worst part of the state to live in gun wise, but the rest of NYS is not much better for handguns I believe. But, atleast you would not need permits for rifles.

Recently I had another interesting experience with the city. In Jan I purchased a Marlin 1894CS .357 Mag rifle one weekend. I went to a range on Long Island with a friend to shoot it and my 5 year old 10/22. One of the range officers mentioned that in NYC you cannot have rifles with a mag capacity of over 5 rounds. This was the first that I heard of this. On Tues I dropped off the paper work to have the rifle registered with the NYPD. The officer did mention that I would have to get a 5 round mag for the 10/22, and I would have to dispose of the 10 round mag. I thought thid was interesting since I had registered the rifle with the 10 round mag about 5 years ago and no one in the city said anything about it.

Chris Nemeth

The 625 does not require the use of full moon clips to hold a round in the chamber, but once fired, will require a hand ejection of the case. I only use the moon clips when CCW.

Robert