Motor driven triggers

barnetmill

Here is question about motor driven triggers.

Right upfront I assume such a device is illegal and I do not have one or have plans to make one.

Are there any issued smallarms that use an electric motor (not a hand driven crank) to regulate firing rate?

I assume that the multibarreled crew served weapons could be adjustable for cyclic rate. I wonder if this concept has ever been applied to a smallarm.

fisherman66

I've always thought it would be fun to take 5 or 6 10/22s and mount them on a frame with the triggers alligned. Then make a paddled trigger insert that I could attach to an electric drill. Mount the whole "shebang" (apologies to William Hung) on a swivel turret; and chew something up.

I don't know what the ATF thinks about this desire.

Lord_Nikon

The ATF thinks that's a machine gun, as the switch on the drill would become the "trigger". However, use a hand crank, and that becomes an undoubtedly fun way to burn through some ammo.

barnetmill

As an aside I recall an article many years ago in I think "guns and ammo" where they took .22 caliber semi-auto rifles to see what their max cyclic rates were. I recall that they were above 1,000 rnds/min. This was long before the the recent '86 law and current strict enforcement actions.

It is illegal I am sure for civilians to do this. Perhaps the government will want to next regulate small DC electric motors.

kozak6

Well, hey, you know a shoelace is a machinegun.

Barnetmill, GE has made miniguns in .223, although it would be quite insane to try to fire one from a standing position Predator style.

While not military issue, there have been some .22 LR miniguns produced.

barnetmill

kozak6, What I am really asking about is the trigger and not hydraulic or electrical systems that handle all aspects of extraction, loading, and firing.