Most Visible Front Sight

stonewall50

I have night sights in my gun currently and I am looking to change. I am a natural shotgun shooter. I’m passable with my handgun. And what I have found is that my detection of the front sight is a PAIN for me and impacts my accuracy. So what I would like to know: what is the best sight for visibility of the front sight? This would be for self defense. So something that works and lasts would be nice. My trijocons are getting dim and the front orange sight doesn’t pop well. And at night I can see the glowing dots, but not after the first shot anyway. I am thinking of one of the fiber optic ones? But I have no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FITASC

Tru-Glo makes a set that I have on a G-19 where the green light pipe is exposed on the top so any light makes it glow light a neon bulb

Pahoo

The man wants a red shirt; turn on the red light

Tru-Glo
Another vote for Tru-Glo, or that type if it comes with a choice of Light-Pipes. The reason I mention, having the choise of color is that you will be able to continue your tests and see which color works best for your service. I convinced myself that green was the way to go on one service but the "Red" or "Blaze" worked better. …. :confused:

Be Safe !!!

TunnelRat

I’ve used straight fiber optic sights like Dawson Precision and the combination night sight and fiber optics like the TruGlo. For me I found the pure fiber optic was brighter as more of the rod is generally exposed, but of course in darkness you’re out of luck. Dawson usually gives you both red and green so you can try and see what works best for you. Sometime you’ll see comments questioning the durability of fiber optics. In thousands of rounds I never had a rod break on me. If it did, you can still use the housing as a sight by itself.

stonewall50

I’ve used straight fiber optic sights like Dawson Precision and the combination night sight and fiber optics like the TruGlo. For me I found the pure fiber optic was brighter as more of the rod is generally exposed, but of course in darkness you’re out of luck. Dawson usually gives you both red and green so you can try and see what works best for you. Sometime you’ll see comments questioning the durability of fiber optics. In thousands of rounds I never had a rod break on me. If it did, you can still use the housing as a sight by itself.

The reason you are out of luck is because they cannot be seen. But is that any different than normal sights? And would they still be visible while using? Say? A flashlight in the off hand?

TunnelRat

The reason you are out of luck is because they cannot be seen. But is that any different than normal sights? And would they still be visible while using? Say? A flashlight in the off hand?

I’m kind of confused because this response seems like you thought I was being negative about fiber optic sights, and I don’t think I was. I was simply stating the reality that in true darkness the rod doesn’t help you. The counter to that is in true darkness you still need to identify your target, ala a light like you mentioned, and then not being able to see the sights in darkness becomes moot. I’m aware of that and these days I carry both a handheld light and use a smaller weapon mounted light in the event I have to go to one hand. One of the times I see night sights as being useful is if I’m shooting from a darker position into a more illuminated position, i.e. a dark room into a lit corridor. In that case I can identify a target without needing to cast light. But that might be a rare or nonexistent situation depending on your own home.

With my vision, fiber optics are/were a big help and I still like them and have them on a few pistols. Red dot sights are an even bigger help.

Last edited:

Cyanide971

Stonewall, not sure if this’ll help or hinder, but here’s three different types of sights on several of my Glocks. The one on the left is standard Meprolight Glock Night Sights, the middle is the TruGlo TFX Pro Fiber Optic/Tritium combo, and the right is the Ameriglo Bold. Included are another couple images of the TFX Pro front (which I really like).

5ff203d55475c09cfcdbc0bc8cdd8527.jpg

3becb10360c86f4878164285491c4125.jpg
bf13cb0a6c330bcd52de9f4200d1221c.jpg

Forte S+W

I would get one of those combination Fiber-Optic/Tritium sights for the best possible visibility in all lighting conditions.

tlm225

I just installed Dawson sight on my G48. FO front, black target rear. They came with the red FO installed. After playing with it for a while I changed it out for the green FO. That was an improvement in visibility. For me the green shows up better in lower light levels.

RickB

For shooting in the dark, nothing beats tritium night sights, but . . . you shouldn't shoot in the dark!
I like the Dawson fiber optic front, as it glows relatively bright in any light, and if it's not glowing and you can't see it, you can't ID a target, either.

labnoti

Red dot (reflex). It's slightly harder to holster and carry, but since I started I just haven't been willing to give up the perceived advantage.

Otherwise, a 24k gold bead that is flat, not domed, and with a matte finish not mirror-polished. Silver can potentially be more reflective but since it is likely to tarnish within days, it's not as good as gold.

Bilbo463

Since you’re a shotgun shooter you might like the front sight that I have installed on several of my 1911’s.......a Gold Bead. Easy to pick up in bright and low light. Another benefit, they don’t wear out.

JDBerg

I have a Dawson red fiber optic front sight & blind adjustable rear sight on my STI Trojan 9mm 1911. I have Wilson Combat Vickers Elite green fiber optic front & blind fixed rear sights on my Gen3 Glock 17 and 19. I can’t say for sure whether I like the red or green elements better, but the green might be a little bit easier to pick up in different lighting conditions. These setups work for me & they might work for you.

jr24

Not sure if they make them for whatever gun you have but the best, most visible, sights I have found for my colorblind eyes is the yellow or lime green Ameriglo CAP sights.

The square front sight pops better to my eye than any color circular sights. If you have a moment the luminous paint can be hit with your flashlight for a few seconds (seriously, if it's a bright flashlight less than 5) and the front site will glow very intensely.

Second best in terms of visibility I've found were XS Big dots, but I couldn't abide the resultant loss in precision.

Fiber Optic can be nice, the green one that came with my Wilson is particularly radiant, but only in good lighting conditions, else they are no better than blacked out fronts to me. I prefer my sights to be more consistent, but your mileage may vary.

stonewall50

I’m kind of confused because this response seems like you thought I was being negative about fiber optic sights, and I don’t think I was. I was simply stating the reality that in true darkness the rod doesn’t help you. The counter to that is in true darkness you still need to identify your target, ala a light like you mentioned, and then not being able to see the sights in darkness becomes moot. I’m aware of that and these days I carry both a handheld light and use a smaller weapon mounted light in the event I have to go to one hand. One of the times I see night sights as being useful is if I’m shooting from a darker position into a more illuminated position, i.e. a dark room into a lit corridor. In that case I can identify a target without needing to cast light. But that might be a rare or nonexistent situation depending on your own home.

With my vision, fiber optics are/were a big help and I still like them and have them on a few pistols. Red dot sights are an even bigger help.

No. Didn’t think you were being negative. I was more wondering about the tru glow stuff in low light. If those are on my gun, and I’m in low light? Will they still show up ok with ambient light? Like a flashlight in my off hand?

TunnelRat

No. Didn’t think you were being negative. I was more wondering about the tru glow stuff in low light. If those are on my gun, and I’m in low light? Will they still show up ok with ambient light? Like a flashlight in my off hand?

In my experience that in part depends on the output of your flashlight and the type of hold you use. A lot of handheld lights put out so much light that the tritium becomes a moot point when the light is active.

T. O'Heir

"...at night...after the first shot..." You've lost your "night vision" and nothing is going to fix that.
Like RickB says, you shouldn't be shooting in the dark anyway. However, white outline sights are on my .45.