Most Useful Combination

What combination would you choose to be most useful in the most possible scenarios?

• .357/.44 Magnum Handgun and Matching Lever Action Rifle

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • .357/.44 Magnum Handgun and Bolt Action .22LR Rifle

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • .22LR Pistol and 12 Gauge Repeating Shotgun

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • 10mm/.460 Rowland Pistol and Combo .22 WMR / .410 Long Gun

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Ruger Single Six .22LR/.22WMR Combo and 45/70 Govt Lever Action

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

azsixshooter

Just a fun poll since I was thinking about this.

What combination of firearms would you think most useful for the broadest range of possible scenarios? Assume you hand load and are able to take advantage of maximum power levels in all applicable cases.

Last edited:

klambpix

22/12gauge...22's make it easy to carry plenty of ammo, and there's not much you can't kill with a 12.

Last edited:

ClayInTx

.357 handgun and rifle for real world scenarios.

I have 22s and consider these suitable as just-for-fun guns or small game. If allowed more choices I might include a 22 but the poll is specific and for what is listed those are my selections.

azsixshooter

I should have thrown an option in there for the mall ninjas....maybe a "FiveseveN" and a M249 SAW or something.

For the first option I meant a .357 or .44 Mag (your choice) combined with a lever action rifle firing the same kind of handgun cartridge. As opposed to a .44 Mag/.308 Win or 30-30. I meant to add an option with something like a .30-06 or a semi-auto muzzle-braked .338 Win Mag, but I forgot and couldn't edit the poll.

Last edited:

roy reali

"C"

I voted for the third option, .22 handgun and 12 gauge shotgun. I feel that having a handgun and rifle shooting the same cartridge is redundant. I feel that the handgun and long gun should cover different situations.

The Great Mahoo

azsixshooter said:
What combination of firearms would you think most useful for the broadest range of possible scenarios? Assume you hand load and are able to take advantage of maximum power levels in all applicable cases.

Well, I'm seeing this two ways.

For just having 2 guns to cover all bases, I quite like the last option of the .22 revolver and a 45-70 rifle. I would see a rifle as something to hunt and take medium-large game and long-range shooting, with the pistol covering convenience and anything close range. This should cover all bases.

However, since I am not much of a hunter, I would opt for a matching revolver and levergun. A pistol-caliber rifle is sufficient for most anything I would want a rifle for, providing range and accuracy beyond my pistol. The shared ammo would be an added convenience. I have actually opted for a set of .45 colt's in my collection with this in mind. I've been thinking about adding a .357 rifle and revolver, but am holding out to see if the .327 becomes available in a levergun to match my current favorite revolver.

Blue Steel

I chose the 10mm pistol with combo .22/410 long gun.

You get a serious personal defense round in the 10mm that will also bring down game if pushed into that capacity.

The combo long gun gives you a bonus with the ability to run both .22 rifle and .410 shotgun.

Kreyzhorse

If I handloaded, I'd want a .357 handgun and a 45-70 govt rifle using the cartridges you listed. You really needed an "other" option on your poll. :)

Out of those listed, I'd go with the Ruger Single Six and 45-70 combo.

azsixshooter

I chose .22 pistol and 12 gauge shotgun. I think that combination would be great for the following scenarios:

homesteading/farming;
urban home defense;
close to medium range big game hunting;
small game hunting;
survival;
firing signal shots;
waterfowling;
sporting clays, trap and skeet;
target pistol shooting;
predator hunting;
short to medium range varminting;

I might opt for something like a .357 Magnum handgun and 30-06 scoped rifle if I was a rancher or otherwise lived in an area where longer range shots were the rule rather than the exception but anywhere else I'd stick with the shotgun and trust in my hunter's ability to close range on the game I was after. I might also choose the larger caliber handgun if my needs primarily involved carrying for self defense against 2-legged predators in an urban environment.

It's hard for me to imagine not having a rimfire something or another with me since it's so nice to be able to carry a ton of ammo in a small space. God, I love guns!