• Ruger

Votes: 116 56.6%
  • Smith & Wesson

Votes: 83 40.5%
  • Taurus

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters

Deegle

Just wondering what everyone thinks regarding (generally) the reliability of Ruger, S&W, and Taurus revolvers. Please don't let the quality of their semiautos taint your response.

Tom2

What do you mean reliability? Unless you get an odd lemon with extremely severe problems somehow, all those brands will absolutely go bang every time you pull the trigger, no misfeeds, jams, or whatever auto fans have to sweat. With a wheelgun, pretty much the difference then is in the detail, like accuracy, handling and your personal preferences. I cannot perceive an out of the box superiority of any of them. But when the things get old, like when thousands of rounds have passed, then you might have a different story. Only drawback I can think of is that Colts have critical timing, and certain Colts can get out of time from wear. Then finding someone to fix these certain Colts correctly can be a prob. Even loosy goosy revolvers of these brands can still go bang all the time, regardless of lead spitting, excessive gaps, flame cutting, etc. Better try the poll with autoloaders. EDIT-Whaaa... Thought the third choice was Colt, but what the heck, Taurus clones of Smiths probably are fully reliable as long as they work during the first testing out of the box. So I don't own any Ruger wheels right now, but I would vote them tops for durability if nothing else....

Hawg

S&W. Never had a Taurus.............That I can remember. Never had a problem with a S&W. Have had problems with Rugers.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Assuming a gun with no QC issues from the factory, I don't see that there's enough difference in mechanical reliability to be statistically noticeable.

Based on what I saw in my years behind the counter, of those three brands Ruger probably had the fewest QC issues from the factory and Taurus the most, but that's a separate issue from reliability.

WVfishguy

The only 100% reliable revolver (or any other gun, for that matter) I've owned is a single action Ruger. Always goes bang.

I've had two Smiths go out of time so badly they could not fire.

I've had a Dan Wesson .357 malfunction (trigger stayed to the rear after firing) but it's fixed now.

Never owned a Colt nor Taurus revolver.

My Ruger double actions have been flawless, except for one which spit a small amount of lead.

Inspector3711

uger blackhawk SA .357 never a problem in probably 5000 rounds and It was made in 1976 (becentennial model), bought it used for 150! I shoulda kept it:(R

357 Plato

I have had a S&W 686-5 for years now. Put a lot of bullets down range with it. 100% reliable.

I don´t see why a Ruger or Taurus shouldent be the same way given that it is not a lemmon.

Sorry I can not vote

Kreyzhorse

Of course this is just a poll on TFL, but I was surprised by two things; first that Ruger had double the votes over S&W and second, that there were zero votes for Taurus.

As an ex, Taurus owner, I'll never own another one, but there are lots of people on this board who defend Taurus and have had good luck with them.

From the big two stand point, I own 2 Rugers and 4 S&W and have zero issues with any of them.

GingerGuy

:)I owe 4 Ruger weapons and am very satisfied with all of them, have yet to find the right deal for a Smith & Wesson. I am looking, but haven't found just the right gun with the right price. There's a gun show this weekend, maybe my luck will change. Looking for either a Model 60, 10 or 686...

warrior poet

Which one would you be willing to fire after it was knocked from your hand during close combat, fell five floors and landed on cement? That's why I use Rugers, they're tanks.

CraigC

In all the revolvers I've owned, handled and shot, there's only been one that had a failure that would prevent it from firing. That was a US Arms Abilene in which the transfer bar broke in half after about 50rds. Luckily it was close enough to the Ruger design that a Ruger part could be fitted up by Jim Stroh.

Mark B

The only Revolver That ever locked up on me was one of the very early SP101s. Only did it once, and an overnight stay in the shop got it working fine, hasn't had a problem since. No S&W or Taurus(only owned one) has ever given me problems.
I didn't vote in the poll because I don't think there is a clear winner. All machines can break once in a while.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
warrior poet said:
Which one would you be willing to fire after it was knocked from your hand during close combat, fell five floors and landed on cement?

No double action revolver would have my confidence after that, since if it landed on its side, the crane's as good as sprung no matter what name is on the barrel.

Besides, if it got knocked out of my hand and fell five stories during close combat, it'd be a little out of my reach. If it wasn't out of my reach, that means I fell five stories along with it, and then the brand of the revolver wouldn't matter a whole heck of a lot, now would it? ;)

Tom2

Guy who had Smiths that were so out of time they would not fire? How do you accomplish that, without overloads, in a normal lifetime? If you want a weapon that can be endlessy abused and still function, the only thing I can think of is a really good tire iron. And replacements are cheaper too.

YukonKid

kind of a silly thread. Rugers are tanks, its the niche they serve in the revolver market. Not as refined as Smiths, but more solid. I like/own both and the toughest weapon i own is my "old" model Vaquero

YK

cohoskip

Well, I voted S&W. I do, however, have an early model Taurus Model 66 that is a direct copy of a Smith and it is a sweetheart. Great fit and finish with wonderful SA trigger. Not too sure about the newer ones - no experience with them...

ghalleen

In general they're all pretty good.

I wouldn't buy a Taurus 85, and I wouldn't try to fire .44mag loaded from a reloading manual written in the 60s in a S&W.

Ruger is probably best.