Most reliable new M1911?

Geezerbiker

I'm thinking about getting one more M1911 but I want one I don't have to spend months tinkering with to get it to work right. Any suggestions?

Tony

L. Boscoe

depends on what price range you are in. The 1911 forum would have some
ideas, probably too many. I have Springfield and Les Baer. Both work fine,
although the springfield did need some work, minor after some use. I think
the forum would be able to tell you who has had zero defects right out of the box, probably this forum may.

DubC-Hicks

I currently own 3 Springfields and have owned 5 altogether. All have been 100% reliable out of the box, although the MC Operator was TIGHT out of the box and sluggish, but it never malfunctioned and has worn in nicely.

I also owned 2 Tisas and recently sold a 3rd, all were perfect. As was my Ruger SR1911. My previously owned a Kimber Custom II that was literal trash, but the TLE II I picked up a few months ago has been excellent. And the Rock Island I had was mostly reliable, but didn't like WWB ammo.

jar

I have recently purchased three different Tisas (SDS Imports) 1911A1s, one full size and two commander size. All are hammer forged slides, frames & barrels, machined after hardening, polished feed ramps, 70 series internals and after now nearly 1000 rounds combined experienced zero failure to feed, zero failure to fire, zero failure to eject. Several types of ammo both ball and jhp, standard and +p, new and decades old rounds have been used. Trigger pull weight on all three examples has been around 4 pounds as shipped from the factory.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ivory-left.jpg
    ivory-left.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 285

Red Devil

Have a SA "Mil-Spec" that has been hammer reliable w/ a Wolff HTCS 18.5# Recoil Spring and 230 gr. ammo.

WP_20180802_15_20_54_Pro-50.jpg

That said, the SA "Garrison" looks to be a nice upgrade for the price-point.

garrison-alt-feature-1600x1200-1-1024x768.png

Red

Geezerbiker

I have an early Springfield Armory M1911 and it was a bit finicky when I got it. It would stove pipe jam about 1 or 2 times in a hundred rounds and would pelt me with empty cases. That's why I'm asking. Since prices have gone crazy on just about everything, I'll determine my price range after looking at what's available...

Tony

riggins_83

Price absolutely comes into play.

If you're looking for a budget 1911, and don't mind no Frontstrap checking, the Springfield Garrison is a good choice.

If you're looking for more a mid grade, the Sig STX is fantastic as well.

If you want to spend some serious cash, there's a few excellent custom companies.

My two cents, however:

Many 1911s have a shortfall on the factory magazines. While there's many opinions on the best aftermarket mags, I run Wilson Combat magazines and recoil springs ( factory weight )in all my 1911s. I've seen Springfield and Kimber 1911s have feed issues with the factory magazines fix with aftermarket mags.

chaim

Most makes have their occasional issues, especially with something like the 1911 which can be a bit finicky when not just right. That said, my S&W 1911Sc (1st generation) has been 100%, and it can be hard to find negative posts about the function of S&W 1911s (not everyone likes the external extractor). SIGs seem good, though you do see an occasional complaint. At a more reasonable price-point, the Rugers seem to have few online complaints (though they aren't non-existent). In the more traditional 1911 manufacturers at a sub-$1000 price range (my price range, not yours), Springfield seems to have few (though some) complaints. I am a fan of my Rock Island Armory Officer sized 1911, and they have a great reputation online compared to most other budget 1911s, but they do seem to have more complaints than the SA. Kimbers make some of the best looking 1911s in their price-point, but seem to have far more online complaints than most. A Kimber may well be my next 1911, but I'm looking for one for range use only and not for home defense or carry, so the looks and accuracy matter a bit more than the reliability.

akinswi

Jar,

does the gun shoot where you point? Was looking at buying one of these to be a range gun and not worry about scratching it like I would a 1200.00 Gold cup.

Adventurer 2

If reliability was the most important factor, I would pass on any 1911 with a match chamber. I own a Colt Gold Cup with a match chamber - my most accurate 45 - but I have to put a tighter taper crimp on each round for it than any of my other 45s as the chamber is tighter. My Beretta PX-45 functions w everything I’ve put in it including military ball ammo - my Gold Cup requires tighter spec ammo.

jar

Jar,

does the gun shoot where you point? Was looking at buying one of these to be a range gun and not worry about scratching it like I would a 1200.00 Gold cup.
Unfortunately, yes.

The issue seems to be that often I don't point as accurately as I did fifty years ago.

I only have two of the Tisas left, my brother-in-law wasn't happy just taking my little sister, he also took the 1911 with the good sights. The two I have left are pure 1941 stealth sights. Worse yet my eyes are gen-u-wine 1940s issued eyes.

Tisas makes quite a few though that do come with Novak style sights and of course sights can be upgraded on most all 1911s.

The Tisas Carry (commander size) that left home.

attachment.php

akinswi

If reliability was the most important factor, I would pass on any 1911 with a match chamber. I own a Colt Gold Cup with a match chamber - my most accurate 45 - but I have to put a tighter taper crimp on each round for it than any of my other 45s as the chamber is tighter. My Beretta PX-45 functions w everything I’ve put in it including military ball ammo - my Gold Cup requires tighter spec ammo.
Adventurer2,
My series 80 Gold Cup loved everything, from cast to Hollowpoints.
My springfield range officer on the other hand does not like cast bullets. But my Colt Gold Cup is scary accurate. Fantastic 1911s