Most reliable assembler of AK parts?

The situation: being only into guns at age 52 (back in '07), the AK 'enthusiasm' began only a few months ago, and it has replaced some of the interest in my SKS. Might retire next winter, with less cash to divert into guns, and the Garand +
five Enfields are seldom touched.

Just bought two all-original 'nib' Saigas last month:): .223 and 7.62x39. Received a very Steep discount on each, find the triggers ok, and produced in the Russian factory---should be very reliable.

Yesterday a friend First tried out his superb, near-mint Mak 90. The Mak 90 has, by far, the best trigger of any factory military gun I've ever tried:)-including Garands, Colt ARs, SKS etc. The Chinese polished the trigger components and built very good AKs.

I'm very familiar with many of the hundreds of reports of Century's subcontracted 'hit or miss' quality with its semi-auto rifle assembly. Which US company now assembling imported AK parts kits is considered the most reliable? How about the triggers?
Am familiar with US-made Arsenal (prices far too high) and the new Century AK (you can trust these?). That's why the topic is mostly about quality assembly of Imported parts kits.

Last edited:

kozak6

At the top end, you have the super premium builders like Krebs.

Definitive Arms is supposed to be rather excellent, and is more affordable. High demand and low production makes them hard to come by.

DDI is pretty good too, readily available, and a little more affordable. Their customer service is also pretty good. They are probably your best bet.

Most builders use Tapco triggers since it's an easy 922r part. Red Star has kind of fallen off the radar. ALG's triggers are generally considered the best of the bunch.

Maybe so gyvel...but King Obama or future Queen Hillary won't allow them to set up a factory inside the US. And US gun manufacturer lobby groups....

Let's broaden the comparisons, and also cover the new AKs actually manufactured by Century, instead of parts being merely assembled by their contractors.
How does the functional reliability of their newer guns compare to the original imports (i.e. Russians, Yugos, Mak 90s) and other brands assembled inside the US?

kozak6: how would you compare DDI's operational reliability and parts durability with these other classic types?

Last edited:

kozak6

As far as Russian AK's, the Veprs are also excellent. However, they are RPK based so they are on the heavy side. The thick slantback receiver also makes installing traditional AK furniture troublesome. We're between import waves of the 7.62x39 Veprs right now, so they are also harder to come by.

DDI's are built on Hungarian kits, which are good quality, and have American made 4140 nitrided barrels. Functionality should be at the very least on par for an AK.

Century's new AK's are the matter of some debate. They seem to be well assembled and well finished, except there is a lot of hemming and hawing about the durability of the cast parts. There hasn't been a lot of testing, and none of it long term, so the jury is still out.

There are still a lot of MAK-90's out there. I bet you could still get a good price on one if you keep an eye out.

Watched videos last night by both MrGunsNGear and Iraqiveteran8888 which clearly show certain external flaws to spot on guns with potential internal problems.

Venom1956

Unless youre getting a bone stock WASR-10 for cheap or Draco I'd steer clear of Century offerings. Back when they used to be waaaay cheaper they were worth a look but now some of their 'good' guns are pushing Arsenal prices.

Arsenal and others might cost more but there is a reason. DDI and DI krebs etc are just better. Made in USA isn't necessarily better when it comes to aks. Krebs prefers to build of Veprs and Saigas for a reason, Arsenal uses pretty much exclusively Bulgarian stuffs. Get a Solid build, solid barrel and solid mags and you'll really enjoy your purchase.

If you hunt around you can most likely find an SLR 107 with a fixed rear stock for only a few bills more then any century gun.

Also my 02 cents dont waste your time on a 'Milled' gun. Get a nice stamped one and be done with it. They are heavy and a PITA to work on since most products are not sized for them. Seriously don't fall for the milled hype.

P71pilot

Russian (Saiga, Vepr) is the best AK, followed closely by Bulgarian. Your saigas can be easily converted into a standard AK format. I converted my saiga 7.62x39 and ended up with exactly what I want and I am happy with everything. The tapco g2 trigger in mine is excellent. And I just recently installed a Krebs custom 800m peep rear sight.

I would say avoid any U.S made AK (century C39, RAS47, I.O rifles, etc.)

There really are only a few different kind of AKs available at this time ( checking multiple online sellers), U.S made junk, Yugoslavian/Serbian AKs that seem to very decent rifles. Heavy duty but have been some small issues, but issues with these are very rare. And also Bulgarian originated arsenals.

Thanks very much.

My 'problem' is that I don't do any work with tools, and when the two Saigas were bought, had no intention of any modifications. Even the triggers are acceptable and I really enjoy the guns, but would like an AK, especially a Chinese Mak 90 with the very silky smooth trigger (and smaller butt stock).

It's hard to explain.....being formerly a Spanish FR8, Lee-Enfield #4/Mk. 1/#5 "Jungle" and basic, Un-modified SKS guy.

The only concern about the better guns listed on Atlantic Firearms is that most are assembled by Century, which in most cases can be quite good.

gyvel

Serious advice would be to keep looking around and find an original "pre-ban" AK. It's going to cost you, but it will be a lifetime investment, and you know that you will be getting an honest-to-goodness bona fide milspec weapon.

Not too many months ago, my LGS had a very nice Hungarian FEG made AK for $450.00 that I had to pass on due to other pressing bills.

Another desirable one is a pre-civil war Yugo imported in the late 80s by American Arms.

Look; They are around, and worth spending the extra money for.

Anything "made" by Century should be your last choice when there are no other options.

drobs

One of the best buys out there right now is the Serbian M92 AK pistols imported by Century. These are built completely in Serbia and since 922R doesn't apply to handguns - no US parts are required.

Here's mine slightly modified:
21216580699_8f3d13a9a6.jpg

Otherwise - I like Romanian AK's. I'd rather have fresh new Romanian Wasr-10 imported by Century with brand new chrome lined barrel than a 30 year old, rode hard put away wet, Chinese Norinco / Polytech.

I missed out the converted SGL series Saigas when they could be had cheap - $750 a few years ago.

Venom1956

Venom1956 (born a year after me?):

There is no commitment to any Century product, just one of the 'better' "AK" products, as the main objective is a Mak 90 or Zastava.
Looked several times at Atlantic Firearms choices-but I only sell/buy FTF, in person, in order to try out triggers on unknown types, if not other features.

Am also very skeptical, knowing that sometimes people tweaked whichever internal parts:(....not visible.

Choices of certain guns can be quite limited in the Memphis/west TN area. This area can seem impoverished compared to Armslist (etc) offerings in Nashville, other than the typically wide selection of ARs and clones.

kozak6: There have been comments under Youtube videos of the newest Century C39 (or RAS?) "AKs" regarding the cast parts' durability.

Last edited:

Mrgunsngear

I would say it would have to be the Russians...

Not me. I've seen plenty of Izzy non concentric barrels, sights so far off they don't zero, and crooked trunnions in my day to say that. The Poles and Bulgarians have them beat in my experience.

That said, in terms of US based assemblers, Krebs is probably it. Even with the commy base guns he completely takes them apart, true's them, then reassembles in a much more consistent manner than an assembly line gun (98% of which are great FWIW).

DA and DDI also do a great job. RD gets great marks but I have no personal experience with them.

peggysue

Over the last three decades I have had good luck with CAI fabricated and imported firearms. Only had to tweak a few. But I like to work on guns a little. I do have an UZI I need to work on .