Most Reliable Ammunition

PH/CIB

Have seen a lot of threads on a lot of forums on the most reliable handguns, and have enjoyed them all. But a lot of times in my experience the malfunction was not a problem with the handgun but a problem with the ammunition.

Most of us shoot at the range with the cheapest ammunition we can buy which might be a start of the problem, but I know a lot of us also shoot defensive ammo and our own reloads.

My question with all your experience what has been the most reliable ammunition that you have bought over the counter, brand and caliber and type.

My next question is for those who reload how reliable has your reloaded ammuntion been, and compared to commercial ammo?

nate45

My question with all your experience what has been the most reliable ammunition that you have bought over the counter, brand and caliber and type.

All the major brands I've tried Win,Rem,Federal,CCI, ect have been good.

My next question is for those who reload how reliable has your reloaded ammuntion been, and compared to commercial ammo?

My handloads have always been good because I took the time and effort to make them good.

In my semi-auto pistol rounds every since I got the Lee Factory Crimp Die I'm just as confident in my handloads as I am in factory ammo.

I can load premium HP bullets in new cases and you can't tell the difference from premium factory ammo.

Taurus_9mm

I've had positive experiences with virtually every type of ammo I've used.
I believe the last failure to fire I experienced was with 9mm Blazer brass
and that was at least 2 years ago. The only other problem I've had with a failure to feed was with my Ruger PC9 carbine and PMC Starfire ammo. I think in that case it was the stubby bullet profile the carbine disliked and when I switched to 9mm fodder with a more conical profile, the problem ceased to be.

WWB, S&B, Independence, Remington, Speer and others I've used - no problems ever. :)

JWT

I've found all the major brands - CCI, Speer, Federal, Remington, Winchester - to be reliable. I have found some to be 'dirtier' than others, but no noticable difference in reliability. I'd say CCI is my overall favorite.

snail

Federal target .22LR has been excellant for me. It is cheaper than CCI, and I think it is just as good. The Remington bulk pack at Wal-mart has NEVER worked for me. There is ALWAYS something wrong with the ammo. For my .40, I have tried most of the options Ultramax, Remington, Winchester, Wolf, and Blazer with NO problems. I try out every type of ammo I can get my hand on so I can compare the results, but when I find what I like I don't worry about the price really.

crowbeaner

I've never had a FTF with any of the factory ammo I've tried, and only two FTFs with handloads. Both rounds went bang on the second try, and they were made when I had just started to reload for myself many years ago. I haven't had one until just recently with WW .22 ammo and the cartridge didn't fire on the second try so I assume it was a dud. Note that it came from the pricier WW 50 boxes I bought a few years ago on sale. I had an underpowered .22 a week ago but it went bang and the bullet struck the target so no obstruction to deal with. RP bulk box from Walstore. CB.

skeeter1

what has been the most reliable ammunition that you have bought over the counter, brand and caliber and type.

For me, the rounds I grab for if I'm really worried about my life being on the line are Winchester Silvertips, .38Spl+P and .357Mag. I've had fairly good luck with most factory ammo, and when it comes to rimfires, I'm partial to CCI, Mini-Mags in particular.

SheGUN

The only one that seems to cause any problems for me is the CCI Blazer.... on average 1 out of every 10 is a FTE.

C Philip

Fiocchi is the brand I shoot the most, and has always been 100% reliable. I have shot over 5000 rounds of their 9mm in various bullet weights and never had a problem of any kind in any gun I shot it with. Accuracy is very good too.

PSP

Other a couple .22 duds, I can't remember the last centerfire that didn't work as promised, and that's a lot of rounds. Ammo today is amazingly dependable. My only rule for carry ammo is that is be reasonably fresh. I've been using Hornady TAP to carry and mostly WWB to practice.