Most Iconic handguns?

jmstr

I have read a few posts here about what the most 'iconic handguns were.

These threads crossed my mind on a recent trip.

Based on my observations, I would vote for:
Mauser 96 broomhandle
Colt 1911
Colt Python
Colt detective
Browning hi power
Beretta 92

This is based on checking all of the you find for sale in the gift shop and street bazaars in Beijing's Hotungs, the Forbidden City, the Great Wall, and in Tianjin.

I figure the locally produced toy guns in a society without personal firearm ownership might be indicative of Iconic status.

I saw way more 1911, python and broomhandle toy guns than the others. Never saw a glock toy guns

Just my observations from a trip, based on consumer interests- rather than personal tastes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JoeSixpack

I'd say you have a pretty good list going.

S&W Model 10?
M1895 Negant?
Walther P38
Walther PP?
Luger p08
Makarov?

I would give glock 17 a seat at the table also.

P.S I would love a c96 (The red 9, 9mm version), and a p38 and 08 are on my list of wants.

CDR_Glock

Walther PPK
Colt Python
Colt 1911
Desert Eagle 44 Mag
Glock 17
Colt Detective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pathfinder45

#1) Colt Single Action Army

#2) Colt 1911

#3) Luger

Honorable Mention goes to Colt's 1851 Navy, and, thanks to Dirty Harry, the S&W model 29.

But, the first three will do; in the order of their appearance in history. I don't own any of them, so I'm not playing favorites. Nothing that has come since then has achieved the same stature in the minds of so many.

Last edited:

fourbore

P-08 Luger
1873 Colt

From those posted only these 3 are easily recognized by the lay person or general public. To be iconic, is would have to go way beyond the gun owner community to the general public. For a gun nut, the list grows very fast. Stop a man or woman on the street and ask them to identify some glock or beretta. Heck, I honestly dont know the model numbers my self. And many of the polymer guns all ten to look the same in my eye. Same for all the DA revolvers. None stand out to the untrained eye.

The public may not know the 'P08' or '1873' part of the names. But they recognize the guns. They might call the 1st or 3rd a Colt 45 and be close enough.

The broomhandle mauser maybe - almost. Because of the distinctive look. I dont know if John Q public would know what to call it, but he might recognize it at least.

Dang, Pathfinder nailed it while I was typing. Well, ditto. I agree, with that ordering, as well. I did not think of that I just stole the list from the prior post.

Model12Win

1. Colt's Peacmaker in .45 Long Colt's
2. Colt's M1911A1 in .45 Automatic Colt's Pistol
3. P08 Luger in 9x19mm Parabellum
4. Smith & Wesson Model 29 in .44 Remington Magnum
5. Mauser C-96 in 7.63x25mm Mauser

jmstr

I just figured that the available toy pistol makes on the tables in the PRC might serve as an indicator of most identifiable handguns for the lay public, as their firewall doesn't allow a lot of websites [like gun ones] and the public can't own handguns.

It may be a leap of faith, but the models they choose to make toys out of would seem to be what 1.4 billion non-handgun owning people find most recognizable.

As many say, the gun owning community has more knowledge of variations.

I was a bit surprised at the choices they had, expecially the broomhandle Mauser, but they received a bunch of those, and the Inglis Hi Power was made in contract for China also.

Despite so many Norinco Tokarevs for sale here, I didn't see any Tokarev toy pistols, which surprised me.

Just thought it was interesting. Cool lists added on to this!

chaim

My list, and why

1. 1911: Military sidearm for about 70 years, many Americans have fired it, we all know it (TV, movies)
  2. SAA: One of the guns that won the west, every western anyone ever made had at least one. Most Americans when they see any revolver of that era think, "Colt .45".
  3. Walther PPK: James Bond, need I say more? Nearly every kid who watched those movies in the 60s, 70s, and 80s grew up knowing and wanting a PPK.
  4. Luger P08: While it was invented and used long before the Nazis, the Nazis made it infamous. They may have used other guns in greater numbers, but the silhouette of the Luger is more distinctive than most other guns.
  5. Detective Special/Chiefs Special (most Americans don't know the difference): For years we knew it as the detective/private eye handgun from TV and the movies. It also helps that many who needed to carry concealed carried these from the '50s to today.
  6. S&W M10: The police gun for many of us in our youth
  7. S&W M29: Outside the US, I don't know how well known it is, but Dirty Harry...
  8. BHP: Maybe not so much for most Americans, but outside the US, it was the military issue sidearm for generations. For military history buffs, foreign military vets, and gun people it is certainly iconic.

Edit:
9) How could I forget the Colt Python? I've known that since I was 12 or 13 as the .357mag. If I knew it then, I'm sure most people think of the Python when they think of the .357mag.

End Edit:

I don't think anything from after 1980, and few from after 1970 would count as 'iconic', they just haven't had the time to become so (though there are several, Glock, SIG, Beretta 92, CZ, and others, that are definite candidates).

Last edited:

willr

Mauser c96 "Broomhandle" is the most iconic. That pistol was designed without any pins or screws in the main action. The only screws are the ones that hold the grips on. Is there any other pistol that can make the same claim?
willr

tallball

Mauser Broomhandle
Mauser P38
Luger P08
British Webley revolvers
Walther PP/PPK
Browning High Power
S&W and Colt police/military DA revolvers
Colt 1873 SAA
Colt 1911
Beretta 92