Most accurate?

onthedrums

I know this has been asked to death, and I know they're are as varied opinions as they're are cartridges.But disregarding all the little variables that come into play in benchrest shooting, I'd like to know what everyone's opinion on the best cartridge for this would be out to 3 or 4 hundred yards.I've been shooting from the "bench" for almost 30 yrs. trying to get the most out of my rifles, so I'm not at all new to guns, hunting, or target shooting.I've done alot of accurizing on my own stuff and my buddies have also turned to me a few times for different things including load developement.My varmint guns are my favorites because I seem to always shoot better groups with them.Top dog in my pack is my little custom 722 Remington in .222.
I'm planning on building me a benchrest type gun for my next project as I'm just finishing a custom Mauser in 30-06 for hunting.
Not really for serious competition, just want something really straight shooting.(Having to buy new dies ect. isn't an issue just so you'll know.)
I've done some research on this and studied lots of match results but I'd like to know you guys' opinions.
(Also posted in the reloading forum)
Thanks in advance.

FirstFreedom

Well, according to some reload books and other sources, the .308 win is one of the most inherently accurate rounds; on top of that, there are some very good rifles chambered in it with bells and whistles for accuracy for not a lot of moula. The 6mm PPC is the most accurate round ever developed supposedly - it's won more benchrest comps than any other round. I'd attend a local match, and ask questions to get the latest scoop. FWIW, as I'm sure you know, the other cartridges for which rifles are chambered that are often designated "varmint" or "tactical" are .223 rem, .22-250, and 7mm-08, in addition to .308; and sometimes the .243 win. Also, as you alluded to, the reload books praise the inherent accuracy of the .222 rem. There's also a lot of round developed for IMHSA and such, like 7mm BR, 6mm BR, the JDJ rounds, and many others - but these are designed with being heavy enough to knock down the silhouette easily in mind first, accuracy a close second. If I was wanting extreme accuracy out to 200 or so, I'd get a Cooper of Montana in 6mmPPC myself. But I ainno expert.

Jseime

lots of em

ive heard it said that the 6BR is the most accurate in the world but there are lots colse to it.

.223 seems to be very popular with varmint guys and Bench guys. i saw an article about ARs being compared and the Les Baer thunder ranch carbine put ten rounds into one hole at 100 yards
.308 winchester + family all of these rounds are very accurate ive had a .243 in semi auto that that was respectable. the .260 remington also seems to be up and coming in the accuracy field.
.222-.308-.50 BMG all of these have similar case designs if you stand em up side by side- thats because of the inherent accuracy.

sufficient accuracy seems to be relative to what you want to shoot with a particular gun. deer guns have to be able to shoot inside an icecream pail at 100 yards to kill a deer at 100 yards. varminnt guns designed for small varmints should shoot much tighter than that.

Archie

In the 300 to 400 yard range...

The various .22 calibers are wind sensitive. Even the 70 - 80 grain bullets have limited sectional density and ballistic coefficient; so the wind blows them around a lot.

The 6mm - .243 caliber is better, but still limited in wind resistance.

The 6.5mm - .264 calibers have some fantastic sectional density in the upper weights, but I don't know of any makers (okay, Sierra and Norma) who make a selection of 'match' grade bullets.

The 7mm - .284 calibers are similar to the 6.5. Good rounds, but minimal selection of match type bullets.

.30s.. lots of bullets. Possibly the best over all for longer range targets.

8mm - .323 not really developed for match shooting.

.338, 9mm - .35 caliber, .40... recoil becomes a problem. Very few match bullets.

.50 BMG. Great wind shift resistance, good match grade bullets. Recoil can be a problem.....