Most accurate target shooting 9MM

tonyz

I would like your input on what brand of 9MM
is the most accurate for target shooting.
This will not be for concealed carrying.
But for shooting at my Indoor range at 50 feet Bullseye target shooting.

Thanks for the Info.

Tony Z :D:

------------------
www.vote.com
also for gun accessorys. http://gungoodies.com

Greg G

I have been told that Hirtenberger (sp?)
is good for 9mm target shooting as it is very flat shooting. I haven't used it myself.

Walt Sherrill

Are asking about ammo or weapon?

With ammo it'll vary with the gun. Some guns like different brands. (Even guns with consecutive serial numbers might perform differently with the same ammo.)

For the range, non-competitive target (paper punching) shooting, I find that Sellier & Bellot, IMI, Magtech, PMP, and Denel FMJ (usually 115 gr.) all shoot straight and reliably, and do it cheaply.

If you're talking about guns, there's no question that the SIG P-210 is the most accurate production 9mm available. But it isn't cheap. (New, anywhere from $1300-$1600 and up) I have one and love it.

The H&K P7 is nearly as accurate and a bit less expensive ($700-$900). Far more concealable, but a bit harder to shoot.

I also like the CZ-75B. Much less expensive but pretty darned accurate. (I have one of those, too, which I've been shooting it in IDPA.)

If you're not competing, then there's any number of quality weapons (from S&W, Glock, the new Polymer Rugers, and SIGS) that are suprisingly accurate.

(Because you've asked this basic question, I infer that you're just getting into handguns. That means, realistically, that almost any quality gun you buy [new or used] will be capable of shooting smaller groups than you'll be able to produce when you shoot tha gun -- at least until you've shot a lot. So... Just shoot a lot, and you'll find yourself getting better, over time.)

Before you buy, do some hands-on exploring: borrow guns from friends or go to a nearby range and RENT various types of weapons to find the ones that "feel" good to you and which shoot where you point them... Then buy one. (Don't be afraid to think "used," too.)

[This message has been edited by Walt Sherrill (edited April 14, 2000).]

Desert Dog

I think an artillery Luger would be an excellent target weapon for 9 mm...

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

MTAA

CZ 75. Out of the box accuracy is amazing. The gun can be be smithed by CZ USA, and they also offer some serious competition versions of the CZ 75.

tonyz

I am Talking about a pistol in 9MM cal.
Right now I am shooting a P95 Ruger with some disapointing results as far as the accuracy is concerned.It eats all ammo and never jams, but out past 30 feet the grouping is to large.
I called ruger and they say it sould shoot 3 1/2' groups at 25 yards. I don't get that, but thats still a large group.
I have seen the CZ and like the feel also the barreta feels good. But before I lay down my money, I want to be sure that I am happy when I get to the reange.

Thanks Tony Z

Mute

If you're talking about pure bullseye, the most inherently accurate 9mm I've ever fired was a Sig P210. Not a cheap pistol but definitely the most accurate 9mm I've ever shot. I've had experiences with just about every brand you can think of, Glock, S&W, Beretta, H&K, Steyr, CZ....well, you get the idea.

Jessica Wellman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Right now I am shooting a P95 Ruger [/quote]

Keep practicing with what you have Tony. I shoot my P95 at 50 feet with some really good results, but it took me awhile. How many times have you had it out?

------------------
Shooter's Enrichment Forum

DDS

Sig P210
H&K P9S target

I like the sights better on the P9S(ramped white post). The Sig, however, is more accurate. With my aging eyes the smaller Sig sights are more difficult to acquire.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I've found my P7M8 to be amazingly accurate, too. If it was to be used strictly for paper-punching, I wonder if there are adjustable target sights available? Supposedly the rapid slide velocities on this delayed-blowback piece are notorious for spitting non-H&K approved night sights at the firer...

------------------
Tamara's House o' Weapons: If we can't kill it, it's immortal.
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. If you are speaking of firearms, without question, SIG P210. The most accurate ammunition will be dependent upon the particular pistol. That said, I've had good luck with WW USA 115 gr ball and Federal
115 gr ball. I own CZ-75s, Browning HPs with and without BarSto bbls, SIG P210, HKP7, Stars, and others. I've also owned a Walther
P88 which was nearly as accurate as the P210, but in my experience, for pure intrinsic accuracy, the P210 is the clear winner. Best.

ddt4free

You can buy several cz's for the price of one sig210. I imagine that if you spent the same amount of money jazzing up the cz-75 that you spend on the 210 the damn thing would probably load and shoot itself and e-mail you a range report. HA HA

Another thought, The extra grand or two you save buying a cz could be spent on ammo.(that is one helluva a lot of ammo, almost enough to hide behind.) If you shot that much ammo through a sling shot you should end up with some good skills.

Ruger anything, shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread. While fine for self defense, I don't think they make a single firearm that is used in any of the serious marksmanship type events do they? That is rifle or pistol right! And if they have been used have they ever won? don't think so... -ddt

Forseti

Definitely the P7. Superb accuracy with its fixed barrel, delayed blowback, and constant trigger pull. Every amateur I hand the P7 to try improves their groups immediately and nearly instantly.

Richard

I have never shot a Sig 210 so I can't comment on it other than what i have read. It is supposed to be accurate to 100 yards. Other than that, my personal experience tells me that a full sized Walther P88 is tops. Regards, Richard.

johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tonyz:
I am Talking about a pistol in 9MM cal.
Right now I am shooting a P95 Ruger with some disapointing results as far as the accuracy is concerned.It eats all ammo and never jams, but out past 30 feet the grouping is to large.
I called ruger and they say it sould shoot 3 1/2' groups at 25 yards. I don't get that, but thats still a large group.
I have seen the CZ and like the feel also the barreta feels good. But before I lay down my money, I want to be sure that I am happy when I get to the reange.

Thanks Tony Z
[/quote]

I don't think your groups are that far out of range for 25 yards, it's a rare stock 9mm pistol that will do much better than 2". The Ruger isn't known for outstanding accuracy, though it should be decent. It is known for being dead reliable, which you seem to be enjoying. FWIW, I think the gun and shooter will have much more to do with accuracy than the ammo.