Mossy is jamming up

IZinterrogator

I recently cleaned my Mossberg 590A1. Now the shell follower is getting stuck about two rounds from the breech. Any suggestions? Anyone know how to take off the magazine tube and disassemble it?

waltn

Moss 590

I am more familiar with Moss 500 but I believe same construction. The Magazine Tube is threaded, as has a thread sealant. A little heat...like from a Hair Dryer or VERY carefully from Propane torch and you should be able to unscrew it. Use either a coated pair of pliers, or a little piece of leather and parrot nose pliers. Be careful not to crush tube.

Problem may be a "burr" on follower or dirt/junk inside of magazine tube. Clean everything, use a dry lube with silicon inside tube and use a reasonable anti-lock on threads when re-installing (lock-tite makes a anti-vibration sealant, do not use Red-Locktite...please).

waltn
FFL, Gunsmithy

foghornl

To remove the mag tube, a heat gun/blow dryer, etc to warm up the mag tube and break the seal on the threads. You may want to use a 'nylon strap wrench', like the one shown here (pic copied from the Ridgid Tool website).

I have heard of folks using a propane/MAPP gas type of torch to GENTLY heat the threads. GO VERY SLOWLY AND CAUTIOUSLY IF USING A TORCH. Do NOT heat mag tube to a glowing red...Yoiu will wreck things if you get the mag tube that hot.

Never mind HOW I know, I just know.

Attachments

• strapwrench.jpg
    strapwrench.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

mikikanazawa

The mag tube is a PITA to get out of a Mossberg. I chewed up the end of mine and ended up replacing it, which fortunately isn't very expensive.

The mag cap is removable on the 590, so to clean it you don't really have to remove the mag tube. Completely field strip the gun and swab out the tube. They're very dirty from the factory, and the follower slip-sticks in there. You're not really supposed to lubricate it, but I lube mine with a real light touch of CLP.

Shoot it enough and I suspect the problem will clear itself up as the gun breaks in.

JoeG52

It is very easy to dent the mag tube on Mossbergs. Quite possibly what is wrong with it. The follower hangs up at the dent (It doesn't take much of a dent). If cleaning doesn't work you probably have to replace it. If you try to reomve it, only use pliers on the cap end. If you grab anywhere along the tube with enough force to turn it you will probably dent it.
Joe