Mossy barrel rust help?

Coop de Ville

Hi All,

A friend gave me his mossy 12G barrel today to see if I can remove surface rust from it. Apparently, the guy he bought it from decided to remove the bluing so he could hard chrome it... he never got around to HC it.

I read other posts on this forum, but they discuss removing rust without degraded the bluing. Since this barrel no longer has any bluing, is there a different way to clean it up, or should I go ahead and use oil and steel wool.

Thanks -Coop

Lazy D

What finish do you plan to put back on it?
That will play a big factor in the approach.

If you plan to parkerize, duracoat, gun kote or similar, just blast it w/80-120 grit and apply as directed.

If you plan to re-blue, you will need to polish it out for a gloss blue, or for a "hunters blue" you can blast it too.

Naval Jelly is pretty good at removing rust and blue. If it is pitted you'll have to work it down to make a polished blue look good.

guncrank

Mix muratic acid with water 50/50. I add Greased Lighting to cut the oil as well.
Before I am flamed for this as I have been before be warned that the gun will rust from the remover as well. And be careful with the acid and wear goggles and rubber gloves etc.
I haven't been flamed on this borad yet so go ahead if you need to:D
I made my tank out of PVC pipe with caps. Four foot long tank with a dip basket will remove blue/rust from a old guns in about thirty seconds.
I rinse with a water hose for a minute then use alochol to remove the water.