Mossberg

Tony Z

While at Grices, in Clearfield, PA, while looking over some new lever actions, I handled a new Mossberg 1894, in .30-30. Outward appearances were well above the neighboring new Marlins, especially with a lower price point! Question is, how are Mossbergs? I don't know anyone that has owned one or shot one.

shootbrownelk

Tony, were you able to work the action at all, or was it zip-tied down? I worked the action on a new one awhile ago, it was like the action/ lever assembly was chock full of gravel. The Henry I levered the action on was smooth as silk. They are cheaper than the Henry, but I'd pay more to get quality. JMO though.

osbornk

I have both a Mossberg 500 shotgun and a Mossberg semi-auto 22 rifle and they have both been very good. However, reviews of their lever actions doesn't show them to function and perform very well. Mossberg has been in the rimfire rifle and shotgun business for decades but they got into the lever action business in the last few years. If I wanted another lever action rifle, I would spend some more money and buy a Henry. My Henry lever action 22 is the smoothest cycling gun I have ever used.

Tony Z

Shoot Brown Elk: lever was zip tied, as all guns are at Grices. I have a number of Henrys, as well as Marlins and Winchesters. I was curious if the innards were as nice as the outs! I really doubt if I was buy one, particularly since there was a mid-90's Marlin 336 on the rack at less money, and nice shape.

shootbrownelk

Tony, was that Marlin a pre-safety model or does it have that "lawyer" safety? If it's a pre-safety, grab it if the price is right.

godale

My son lived on clear field for awhile . They have a bar and grill that makes a huge hamburger , think it's called dennys I can't remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Z

Dennys Beer Barrel Pub. Think they now have a 50 pound burger, must be ordered several days in advance and big enough to feed several families! The bar has been on several TV shows.

It is nice to live in an area where you have multiple gun stores in every town. For the modt part, the stores are all great to deal with, with great selection and prices as low as anywhere.

saleen322

Mossberg made a 30-30 lever gun in the 1970s, I think the model I handled was a 472. I had a very favorable impression of it and liked it better than the Win 94. But, like the 800, 810, etc; while they were fine rifles and a real bargain for the performance, people would rather have a Winchester or Marlin lever gun over a Mossberg. Mossberg got out of the center fire rifles completely for a while as they put so much into them, they could not make any money staying in their price point. As to the new lever gun, I have not tried it but Mossberg always had a quality product for the money so I would give it a chance if I was in the market for a 30-30.

dgludwig

The cross-bolt safety on the Marlin wouldn't bother me in the least-and I'm a "traditionalist" when it comes to firearms in almost every other way.

Jack O'Conner

My nephew bought a Mossberg 464 in 30-30 a couple years ago. This rifle features a walnut stock with curved lever and pistol grip. Very nicely balanced. We mounted a Bushnell 1.5 - 4.5X Dusk & Dawn scope and sighted her in for two inches high at 100 yards which is good for kill shots out to 150 yards. This rifle groups an honest 2 to 2.5 inches at 100 yards which is deadly in the deer woods where we hunt in Maryland. He has toppled six deer with this 30-30 and none got away.

The action is not as smooth as some other makes and models but works just fine with feeding and extraction every time. Pricing is attractive.

Mossberg 464 is a keeper!

Jack