Mossberg stock

xjer

Hey guys, I have a old Mossberg 500, 20ga, I think it was
called a Campers Special when I purchased it about 16 years
ago. It only came with a pistol grip. It has been kept under the
bed for HD and shot very little since new. I have been using it,
or trying to use it for gopher control. The pistol grip is not going
to cut it. I need a new stock. What would you recommend and from whom? I have been using #7 and #8 bird shot. Would something else work better? It has a 18.5" barrell with a cylinder bore. Any suggestions would be apreciated. I know very little about this so fire away.
Thanks

Mike

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Get a standard stock from Mossberg.

As for loads, sounds like you need to get a bit closer. If not possible, switch to 6s and see how that goes.

HSMITH

I agree with Dave, #6 birdshot at 1200 fps muzzle velocity will penetrate a full grown rabbit through and through at 25 yards, it ought to be plenty. If you are having trouble getting enough pellets on the gophers to kill them quicky with the cylinder choke I would recommend that you either load or buy some reduced recoil ( as in LOWER velocity) loads. As a general trend the lower the velocity the tighter the pattern will be for a given choke, there are exceptions but not many.

A standard mossberg stock would be the cheapest, and fit correctly. That is what I would buy.

xjer

Someone has the black Mossberg stocks on ebay for $10.00. Seems like a deal to me. I think I will get one and try it.

Thanks
Mike