Mossberg SSI

DT Guy

My boy (11 years old) is looking for his first deer rifle, and I noticed the Mossberg SSI at the local gun emporium. Seems like one of these in .243 would be a nice, light and handy gun for him to start out with, and we both like the ethical discipline that would come with starting out with a single shot. It also is in his "I want it for Christmas" price range. :)

Has anyone got, or at least shot, one of these? Any input would be much appreciated, as would suggestions for alternatives.

Thanks,

Larry

grey_pilgrim

You might want to look at the New England Firearms (H&R) handi-rifle. It's finish isn't quite as nice, but they seem to be decent. IN addition, NEF has a rather large fanbase, so you have lots of range reports and such to browse over.

If you want an bolt action repeater, you might think about a wally world special, especially something like a savage with synthetic stock. It is pretty light for a bolt rifle.

Again, i don't have any experience with these, so that is my .000002 cents.

RugerNo3

The Mossberg is heavy for a single shot. That massive steel frame is excessive. They are no longer manufactured as well. The NEF line is currently manufactured and has an add-on barrel program to fit multiple barrels on one action. Shotgun and rifle barrels included.
They have a nice website and are a subsidiary of Marlin Firearms. A much better option financially as well.