Mossberg SS1 ...anyone with opinion

101guns

I have been offered one in great condition in .243. Comes with a scope of no value, but the mounts are there. Asking price is $350, but I have no experience or knowledge of this gun. Anyone in a position to offer an opinion or personal experience? Thanks

Huffmanite

101guns,

Early in 2006, I bought a new SSIs in 308 from a Houston Gander Mtn. store. Looked at my gun records and saw that I paid $237 + tax for it. Store had about 5 of them on clearance then. I'm not sure what they originally sold for, but seem to remember them being around $320. Based on what I remember reading about the SSI on website posts, it was popular with its owners, considered well made and accurate. Only complaint I could recall from reading posts was about the trigger pull on the SSI. It was too heavy or not very smooth and that some posters were able to work on trigger, improving it. The trigger pull on my SSI is on the heavy side, but mine is accurate. Mossberg did not make the SSI very long. I have a 2005 edition of the Gun Trader Guide and it is not listed in it. When I bought my SSI early 2006, it had already been discontinued. Gander Mtn clerk told me he'd phoned Mossberg looking for a SSI part a few months before the purchase of my SSI: learned rifle was discontinued, all machinery/tooling for rifle and all SSI parts had been sold to another company......that Mossberg would not reveal what company had bought everything.

Just found a scoped SSI in 308 on Gunbroker auction site. Bidding price on it was up to $355.

Last edited: