Mossberg question...

Brasso

I'm looking of for a HD shotgun, and I really like the Mossberg. But they don't really offer anything with a 18.5" barrel that has an actual stock. I don't like pistol grips. What's the point?

Anyway, they do offer a Cruiser model with the breaching piece on the muzzle. I could care less about breaching anything, but it is a 18.5" barrel. With any shotgun, I would most likely put a youth stock on it anyway, so the pistol grip isn't important. I figure it might be easier to get the Cruiser model and just change the stock.

My question is, will this "breacher thingy":) still shoot regular buckshot and slugs well? And will a mag extension fit? Anyone?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
To answer your question... yes the hole saw is nothing but black bling to a tactikewl feller. I guess if you miss 6 times you can run him thru with the breacher thingy and "break his heart"...
brent

MAX100

Yes you can shoot any 2 3/4" & 3" 12ga shells.

Yes the 500 Tactical Breacher will accept a tube extension. It has a mag tube setup like the 590A1 18.5" bbl and the 835. I make a high quality +1 & +2 tube ext extension for them. Vang makes a high quality +1 for the 590A1 18.5" bbl that will fit it.

835 barrels will probably fit it too. But you can't shoot 3.5" shells out of them.

GC

Mike215

The 590 is a 20 inch barrel and it is parkerized, I'd go with that if i were you. Lots of cool features, bayonet lug, 8 shot mag, heat shield.. very cool gun. :D

Brasso

I'm thinking I might go that route. But I hate that bayonet lug. I see on the new models it is incorporated with the swivel? That would be OK. The heat shield would have to come off.

Then again, I already have an 870 with a 20" rifle sight barrel. I just don't like the 870 controls as much as the Mossberg. We'll see.

What I really want is a heavy walled, 18" barrel, parkerized 590 (all metal parts) with a youth stock. Considering all the models they make, you would think this would be a fairly popular configuration.

The reason I like the youth stock is that it shoulders faster and still fits well with body armmor.

Can the "CompStock" be had in a youth size?

The "Breacher Thingy" is tacky, but it would make for a nice muzzle guard.

TxGun

"But they don't really offer anything with a 18.5" barrel that has an actual stock."

Sure they do. The Persuader (as hogdogs & mike215 have pointed out). It's probably the most common Mossberg model encountered in their security shotgun line-up. You might also consider the Maverick 88 Security 18.5". Same shotgun (made by Mossberg), different safety set-up, less $$.

park ranger

18.5 barrell

Mossburg Makes a number of shotguns with 18.5 inch barrels and full stocks, but many are the 590A1's. You can purchase the Mossburgs with bead or GRS, and full stocks with or without the Speed feed. Three models are:

The 590A1's have the heavy barrel. You can get the 590A1's with a Bantam stock, made for smaller stature individuals

Last edited:

Brasso

I guess I'll have to look into it. On the Mossberg website, all of the 590's shown have 20" barrels.

jhgreasemonkey

46276.jpg

This one is available at budsgunshop.com It's a 500 model with 18.5" barrel.
If you are on the west coast then big 5 always has them in my area. Or just go into your local gunshop and if they dont have one then they will look it up and order it for you.

What I really want is a heavy walled, 18" barrel, parkerized 590 (all metal parts) with a youth stock. Considering all the models they make, you would think this would be a fairly popular configuration.

I have almost the exact same thought every time I am looking for a gun.

JamesC2

Find what you want and if the stock isn't what you want, check to see if they sell a replacement stock. That is what I did. Mossberg sells the stocks seperately.

Brasso

Thanks guys. I went by the police distributor today and found the exact Mossberg above. 18.5" 590A1. Now I need to get a shorter stock. I'd still like to know what the length is on the CompStock. Brownell's says it has a 14.25" LOP, with 1" and 1/2" spacers. I wonder if that means it can be shortened, or lenghthened by that much?

dabigguns357

Heck if you lookin for a good mossberg 500 then take a trip to your local walmart and check one out.when I bought mine i only paid 164.97 out the door.Though mine came with a rifled slug barrel so i went to my local pawn shop and bought a modified 18.5 barrel for it even got one in the same finish as the stock.Now i have a h/d shotgun as well as a deer rifle,can't beat that.