Mossberg production issues?

Jeffenwulf

Hello all. I was shopping at the local Big 5 yesterday and asked about the Mossberg 500 combo. They were selling them for about $250, which I thought was a steal. It turns out that not only did they not have any, they didn't expect to get any in the near future. They had a couple of tactical types, but they had a large post that they were having difficulty getting Mossbergs.

When I asked the gent about it, he just told me that they hadn't really been getting any in lately and that they had found out about problems getting Mossberg shotguns on Friday. He alleged that it was something going on with Mossberg production, not their buyers or the store.

Does anyone know if there's anything behind this claim about Mossberg?

OldShooter

Mossberg

I don't know anything, but they could be sending their production to fill military and police orders. I read in their catalog that they had a big contract with NYC police.

You could always ask Mossberg directly.

Chuckusaret

I , along with 1,000's of others, attended the gun show here in West Palm Beach, Fl. today and yesterday. I was very impressed by most of the dealers restraint on price increases. Prices were up because of increased demand but the increases were not as much as many people stated that they had in increased eleswhere. I checked the asking prices of selected weapons on this sites and compared them to the gun show prices. The assult style weapons were up about 10%, new in box Ruger Mini 14's from $850 to $875, AK's $450 to $500 but some were in the$750 range. Pistols were up also, Springfield XD's from $465 to $500/550 but still negotiable down to high 4's depending on caliber, XDM averaged in the $600 range, Glocks about the same. Shotguns, Tactical and home defense style, were big sellers. Mossberg 12 ga cruisers 18.5" & 20" barrels averaged between 295 and 330, Remingtons a tad bit higher. Charles Daly no noticable increase. There was no noticable increase in ammo price but dealers were wheeling and dealing on bulk sales, 500 and 1000 round lots. I picked up 500 rounds of Remington PC .40 caliber FMJ for $125 about the same as Wal Mart. Dealers are no longer allowed to sell shot shell flechetts and Dragons Breath(Flame throwers) here in Florida. Bought a KelTec P-32 (.32) and a P-3AT (.380) NIB for $430 for both. The only pistol that had an outrageous increase in price was the Ruger LCP, dealers were asking $400 to 425, but sold, if any, very few. All in all another great show.

Scattergun Bob

In general having a military contract is like dancing at the will of a giant. It would not surprise me to see short falls and a dicline of public product for short periods of time as mossberg absorbers DO IT NOW ORDERS from their federal contracts.

I saw just how demanding the military can be while working with Nevins reloading, and latter as I became involved with Remington LE sales personnel. DO IT RIGHT NOW, is the game with these contracts and we the public may suffer.

With the price of raw materials growing daily and a fixed price government contract, it would not surprise me if mossberg suffers some supply pains.

Chuckusaret

The Mini 14 I priced was the Ruger Mini 14 Tactical 223 Rifle, AR Style Stock. The other models ranged from the 6's to the high $700's

I am under the impression the supply shortfall is due to private demand, not the government. I know more than a few people hunting for cruisers, maverick securiyty and persuaders right now. I would get myself a persuader if I had the cash.