Mossberg Patrol

Microgunner

Just received a new Mossberg MVP Patrol TB 5.56 rifle I ordered last week.
Also got the scope and base, a Bushnell 1-4x24 AR-223 PCL FFP illuminated scope and Burris QD mount.

I realize it's too late to change my mind but I ordered it on the lust of the moment.

Does anyone have experience with this rifle?

MossbergMVPPatrol001_zps272b9230.jpg

skizzums

I think they look like awesome rifles, I would love to have one. Other than I would want a higher magnification on the scope, I think you bought a pretty sweet firearm. What are you planning to do with it? What's the twist on the barrell?

Dragline45

I may get one at some point for a range plinker, pretty neat that they take AR mags. Might make for a fun gun to bring on camping trips too.

Model12Win

These look like good, fun, effective guns for 'mint and small game hunting but I wonder...

Why is "patrol" in the name?

If I were in Law Enforcement, and I'm not, or if I were in the military, and I am, I certainly would not want a bolt action rifle unless I was a designated sniper.

The design just seems odd for that role. It is in .223, and takes AR mags, but is a bolt action? Is it meant to be issued to officers in areas where semi-autos are a no-no? I can see absolutely no appeal to this rifle from a tactical perspective.

But it is pretty cool!

Microgunner

That was my thoughts too.I think it was meant for places where semi-autos are severely restricted.
It's different and you can't own too many firearms.

Rmart30

Seems like with it being compact it would make a good "truck gun" just to keep handy... Quick to load with the detachable mags.
Bet if they made them in 7.62x39 and took AK mags they would sell also.

Snyper

Quote:
Why is "patrol" in the name?

Not sure, but the actual title MVP stands for Mossberg Varmint and Predator which is what it's really suited for.
Yesterday 05:33 AM

It's in the name because that is what Mossberg calls that variation

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/mvp-series/mvp-patrol

There is also an MVP Predator in a slightly different configuration, as well as an MPV Varmint with a longer heavy barrel

Adding "patrol" or "Tactical" appeals to the "wannbes" and the "tacticool"Ninja types

Microgunner

Snyper said:
Adding "patrol" or "Tactical" appeals to the "wannbes" and the "tacticool"Ninja types

Or it could just be an expediant way to describe the configuration.
They could have called it the MVP Short and Light with Threaded Barrel but Patrol is just plain easier to say.
The A2 flash suppressor is just a way of doing something with the threaded barrel until you mount a suppressor, if ever. It also came with a thread protector for when the sound suppressor is removed.

Microgunner

Haven't even fired it and it's gotta go back.
Front sight base is loose and won't tighten up. Removed the single screw holding it in place and discovered the threads in the barrel are boogered up.
Great QC Mossberg.