Mossberg now shipping 20 gauge Shockwave!!

Sharkbite

I have a 12ga shockwave. The recoil with standard buck is stout. With reduced recoil buck its VERY manageable.

I would assume the 20ga version would be MUCH easier to control.

Bill DeShivs

I'm underwhemed.
Did you know if you put a really long pistol grip on your Shockwave, you can cut the barrel much shorter? But, it will still have to be 26" OAL.

TruthTellers

With that tool that allows reliable feeding of the Aguila minishells, there's no reason to entertain a 20 gauge Shockwave. I'd go so far as to say that the minishells and the Opsol tool have made a 20 gauge home defense shotgun obsolete as it increases magazine capacity and is powerful enough to do the job of stopping a threat.

Not saying 20 gauge is obsolete for hunting tho.

RMcL

20 gauge #3B recoil more than 12 gauge 8 pellet LR 00B

Lets see:

The 20 gauge Shockwave is less than 5 ounces lighter, (4.8), than the Shockwave 12 gauge.

Interesting.

The standard 20 gauge #3B payload weighs in at roughly 460 grains and advertsed velocity of *1175 fps. These are simple buffered buckshot loads.

Readily avallable reduced recoil 12 gauge 8 pellet 00B load comes in at 400 grains at an advertised velocity of *1145 fps. These are usually buffered with a shotcup wad. Indeed, Federal even makes these 12 gauge loads with the tight patterning Flite Control wad.

Bottom line with these readily available 2.75″ buckshot loads the 12 gauge Shockwave will recoil less than the 20 gauge version!

The only real advantage of the 20 gauge shock wave then is a slightly smaller receiver and barrel diameter.

Very interesting!

*Shotshell velocity ratings are based on firing from 30 inch industry standard test barrels.

Last edited:

Elmer

I assume Mossberg is doing their 20 gauge on their smaller frame gun as Remington is with their 20 gauge Tac-14. I find the smaller frame shotguns are a delight to handle in the house, just as they are in the hunting field. I have an 18" 20 gauge 870 now as one of my home defense guns, and am very happy with it in that role. 20 gauge #3, #2, or #1 buckshot will all penetrate sufficiently and launch at similar velocity to 12 gauge loads. 328 grain, .61 caliber, 20 gauge slugs will also work just fine for home or yard defense.

If I was going back into the field as a cop, (not likely at my age), I would prefer the 12 gauge I carried for it's increased payload at longer ranges. But for an uninvited guest at 3 in the morning, I'm perfectly fine with 9 pellets of #1 buckshot at 1300+ fps across my living room or yard.