Mossberg MVP

jersurf101

I am seriously considering one of these rifles in .223 for a youth hunting/first centerfire rifle for my oldest son. I would actually like them better if they did not take AR mags. Anyone out there own one and care to give their opinions on the rifle. I am thinking the 18.5 or 20 sporter profile barrel, a decent 3-9X scope and we are all set up. I am also looking at savage trophy hunters and the CZ 527. I really like the CZ too.

longranger

Plenty of other options out there for .223 Rem bolt actions if you don't want the AR type mag's. The magazine is the point of the rifle. I have one it shoots good not the best finished rifle out there:cool:

10-96

If the CZ is in the option list- that's where I would pitch my vote. I have both and the Mossberg doesn't even compare.

Jim243

The point might me mute, it is difficult to find an MVP to buy, my choice was the MVP-Flex in 5.56 they do not come in .223 even though you can use them in the 5.56. Right now it is one of their better selling rifles.

The AR mags are great in them or just use the 10 round mag that comes with the rifles. They are very accurate and have an adjustable trigger on them as well as having a free floated medium bull barrel that is fluted.

Either CZ or MVP would be a good choice for your son.

Jim

Mine

bamaranger

Thunder Ranch version

I saw and handled a green "Thunder Ranch version today, and it handled OK and the concept (of a 20 rd box mag) is beckoning. But the $600 tag for a poly stock, matte finished rifle is a bit too much for me.

jersurf101

I have no interest in the poly stock version. The laminate stock versions suit my taste and should be better for accuracy. I am starting to lean toward the CZ if I can find one in a 1/9 twist barrel.

9x19

I have a pair of Magpul 10 round mags and a Vortex scope that needed a home, and I found a good deal on a Patrol version of the MVP in 5.56 (I like synthetic stocks and short barrels).

It should be here late this week... :D

rduckwor

I have the Predator model with the 18.5" barrel.

Its fine.

Mossberg includes a 10 round mag that works fine.

DO NOT expect smooth bolt action with this rifle.

That being said, for hunting, you aren't likely to load the mag fully and this eases the bolt feel quite a bit.

Mine will consistently shoot 1/2 MOA with hand loads. and it is a very handy little rifle.

Good luck finding one for sale.

Try Arms List, but be very careful.

the rifleer

I wasnt impressed with this rifle. It is not smooth at all, its very rough. Also, the extractor broke the first time out. Mossberg sent a new one for free, but it should not have broken out of the box. Its a common problem.

jersurf101

I'm in no hurry to get this rifle. I appreciate all the replies. I will probably just get the first rifle between the MVP and the CZ that I can pit my hands on at a reasonable price. No need to rush or force anything.

rduckwor

Also, the extractor broke the first time out. Mossberg sent a new one for free, but it should not have broken out of the box. Its a common problem.

That's not good.

I am surprised that you could get anyone at O.F. Mossberg to talk to you though.

They have the worst CS I have ever seen.

Jim243

I wasnt impressed with this rifle. It is not smooth at all, its very rough.

That's true right out of the box. I have over 300 rounds through mine and it smoothed out after about 100 rounds. Depending on the type of mags used (AR Mags) it will feed smoothly or rough. I use standard 20 round AR mags without any problems, but don't expect it to be as smooth as a 4-5 round bolt action rifle. The stock is made of painted wood but is hollow with a plastic frame insert that insures a stiffer stock, I have set my trigger down to 2 lbs and is much better than a standard hunting rifle's. The trigger breaks without any creep or over travel and can be set from 2 to 7 lbs. The back end of the stock comes off in just seconds and can be replaced with a standard profile stock (Mossberg 500 Flex). The medium bull fluted barrel is fantastic and remains cool even after 45 rapid shots, it is also comes with a threaded barrel for use with a muzzle break or suppressor, I use a linear break that works like a charm. I like the rail that comes with it for mounting optics. The adjustable butt stock makes it instantly usable for anyone in the family regardless of age or size.

The only thing I would change is the addition of side rails for mounting lights or lasers.

They are difficult to find for purchase, but are well worth it for a very good field gun. I have the 5.56 version but will be looking for the version in 308 in the future.

Jim

Patent-Pending MVP Drop-Push bolt design accepts AR-style magazines
Patented Lightning Bolt Action (LBA) Adjustable Trigger System
Compatible with all FLEX Buttstocks featuring the Tool-less Locking System, allowing for ease of swapping stocks on and off in seconds
Fluted 18.5" Medium Bull Barrel with an 11-degree tapered crown
Threaded, Removable A-2 Style Flash Suppressor and thread protector included
Picatinny Rail
10 Round Magazine

Last edited:

Vance

I just fired the Mossberg MVP Predator that I bought last month. It performed well. I sighted in the Nikon P-223 3-9 x 40 scope I bought for it with factory rounds ( I think they were Tulammo 55gr steel case ). Then I used some of my reloads and got even better results (55gr fmj with Accurate Arms 2230 powder). This rifle would be fine for a youth to use. I have put 100 rounds through it and have encountered no issues.

I purchase the rifle from Bud's Gun Shop for $500. The scope I bought off e-bay for $140.

trigger643

I have been quite pleased with my little MVP. The adjustable trigger is one of the lightest and smoothest I've ever encountered.

Accuracy has been good with off the shelf ammo and it shines with handloads.

The bolt is a little sloppy and takes some getting used to. It was a little gritty, as well, but worked itself out. I use 20 round USGI mags and haven't had a single feeding issue.

The stock is a little short for someone of my stature, but I padded it up about 3" and I'm satisfied.

The the price, it's hard to beat. I think it's a definite keeper.

taylorce1

I'd look at the Ruger American in a compact model for a kid, it comes either blued or ss. The 12.5" LOP is more suited to young hunters, and other than the MVP flex every thing you've looked at will have over a 13" LOP. It only weighs 6 lbs which is great for young kids and has an 18" barrel. Plus it will have a price tag around $300 which will leave more in the budget for ammo and optics.