Mossberg MVP

allaroundhunter

I had the opportunity about 2 months ago to shoot a friend's MVP. All-in-all, it was a good rifle for the price and is definitely one of Mossberg's best offerings to date, but I do think it is a bit overpriced.

I personally would never use any AR magazine in it that held more than 10 or 15 rounds because after that the magazines are just too large. The magazine release was located forward of the magazine, but quick magazine changes were not part of the design criteria.

First I will give you what I liked about the gun:
  • The stock was nice for an out-of-the-box gun was quite nice. It was not bedded, but the accuracy that it delivered was quite good, and with worked up handloads it will knock out vermin out at extended ranges with ease.
  • The trigger is adjustable, and the rifle I shot broke at a very crisp 3 lbs. It is similar to Savage's accutrigger, and once the blade is taken up, there was no trigger take-up before the shot broke.
  • The accuracy was quite good with factory ammo (it has a 1:9 twist); at 100 yards, Federal Match ammo printed consistently at 1/2 MOA; and Hornady Varmint Express ammo kept constant around .8" (the gun did not like Remington UMC as much, and shot it into a 1.3" group followed by a 1.5" group)
  • The ergonomics are very good for a production gun
  • Aesthetically speaking, it is a good looking rifle, especially when topped with a good scope

What I didn't like:
  • The action was more loose than I would like. When all the way to the rear, the bolt had a good bit of "wiggle room"

There might be more things that I was not too fond of, but the looseness of the action was my main complaint (though it did not hinder performance). I will also add that steel magazines look much better in the gun than polymer magazines, but neither gave me any problems with functioning.