Mossberg Maverick 88 with model 500 forend?

GarandTd

I picked up a 20 gauge Mossberg Maverick 88 today. It was $188+tax NIB. This is the field model with 26" vent ribbed barrel and modified choke tube. Cable lock and choke tube wrench were included.

I did alot of research before making this purchase and felt comfortable with some of the limitations of the maverick over the 500 for the price.

As I was "building"

Last edited:

GarandTd

As I was "building" my shotgun,(some assembly required), I noticed my forend has a retaining nut as opposed to being pinned or molded on as I expected. This leads me to believe that it will be easier and cheaper to swap.

Anyone have any experience or insight? Don't know if I overlooked that info or I got a lucky mistake or redesign.

Nickel Plated

If it has the internal metal tube inside the actual foreend grip then it's pretty much the same as any other 500 foreend. Should swap right over. Just keep in mind that Mossberg chnged the length of those tubes a few times over the years so make sure the furniture you buy is made for the tube length you have.

Weird though since your Maverick is new. I was under the impression Mossberg was moving almost entirely to the pinned and molded design even on their 500s. Except for wood and 590 variants.

GarandTd

I haven't tried to disassemble the forend so I'm not sure about the length of the metal tube. Do the pinned forends still have the retaining nut on the end? The forend on this shotgun is not the skinny ribbed one, but is wider, longer, and slightly contoured. I'll have to post some pictures.
If it matters, I got it at Walmart.

GarandTd

I disassembled the Maverick today to give a good once over cleaning. Pretty basic without too many parts to fuss with. As I suspected, this particular Maverick has the 500 style forend with the retaining nut and metal tube. In fact, Mossberg included a stamped piece of metal that works as a choke removal tool and a wrench for that retaining nut. Here's a couple pictures.

Attachments

• rps20160918_184939_716.jpg
    rps20160918_184939_716.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 444
  • rps20160918_185013_314.jpg
    rps20160918_185013_314.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 415
  • rps20160918_185104_452.jpg
    rps20160918_185104_452.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 432
Mossberg 88 Slide Action Rods

I have this Mossberg Maverick 88 that I've had for 20+ years and haven't ever shot much. Then about 7 years ago when I was preparing to retire I sold all my rifles but 1 and all my shotguns but 1. The Mossberg 88 is the shotgun I kept and I've been slowly converting it to be a tactical weapon, pistol grip, 20" barrel with accu chokes, and a Tommy-gun style forend grip. I never really noticed it until I went to change the forend grip that it only has one Slide Action Rod connecting the forend grip to the receiver. I thought this was odd. It's on the LH side of the barrel. I thought "something is missing" but when I look at the main housing on the RH side near where the shells get ejected there is no 2nd slot for a 2nd Slide Action Rod. Can anybody shed any light on this? Just about every You-tube video that I've ever seen on Mossberg 88's shows 2 Slide Action Rods. Is this a manufacturing rarity or abnormality? Did the design change at some point in time? I am guessing I have a rather early model from 1994 or 1995. Actually, I'm thinking where I worked at the time....I had to have bought the gun at Dunham's Sporting Goods in the 1991-1994 timeframe, so the gun is at least that old.

Last edited:

jaguarxk120

Two action "rods" are not needed, just look at a Winchester Model 12 or a Ithaca Model 37. Both guns operate flawlessly.

T. O'Heir

A Mossberg Maverick is a Mossberg M500. Difference is the finish and stock material. Barrels, etc. are interchangeable.
There is absolutely no reason to disassemble the forend or do more than a normal barrel removal for cleaning either of 'em at any time.

pblanc

There are other differences between the Mossberg Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500 Persuader besides the pinned action rods, fore-end, and finish.

The 500 has a safety button on the tang. The Maverick has a cross-bolt safety in front of the trigger guard.

The top of the 500 receiver is drilled and tapped for sights or optics. The Maverick is not.

The body of the trigger group of the Maverick is polymer. I believe it is metal on the 500.

Last edited:
Mossberg 88 Slide Action Rods

I never knew that about the Ithacas and I used to own one. I also owned a Winchester Model 12 in a 16 Ga that I inherited from my dad but have since sold and I never noticed it on that either. Yes, the action even with the Tommy-Gun style forend seems to work just fine, in fact it's faster. The 2 Slide Action Rods that came with the new forend, I obviously only used one of them and it works just fine. Anybody know when the design change took place?

Last edited:

GarandTd

Early model Maverick 88s had a single action bar. Newer models have 2. Also, I believe the m500 has a polymer trigger group similar to the Maverick 88. You don't get metal til you go with the military spec 590A1.

pblanc

Thanks for the correction regarding the Mossberg 500 trigger group. I have read that the Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 trigger groups are not interchangeable, but I do not have a 500 to confirm that.

GarandTd

I disagree about disassembling the forend. This was a brand new gun in the box, requiring some assembly to begin with. A once over of all parts diassembled seemed like a reasonable step in my 1st ever firearm purchase. It was good to know the gun was clean and ready and to know all of its parts and how they work together.

GarandTd

The Mav88 and m500 trigger groups are both polymer, but because of the safety difference are not interchangeable. The m500 and the 590a1 have the same tang safety and the trigger group is interchangeable between those two, however, the m500 is polymer while the 590a1 is metal.