Mossberg Maverick 88 stock replacement choice.

keithdog

I recently became the owner of a 12 gauge Maverick 88 with 20 inch barrel for home defense. Knowing ahead of time the LOP for me was a bit too long with the original stock, I am going to replace it with an after market stock. There are two I am considering. The Magpul SGA stock with adjustable but plates, and the ATI Telescopic stock w/pistol grip. We've had a couple ATI stocks for our AR style guns and they always seemed well made and reasonably priced. I've never seen a Magpul SGA stock first hand and can't find one in our local gun shop to try it first hand. Both seem to have their advantages, but the ATI is cheaper in price, and this gun is primarily just for home defense and won't be shot all that often. So, I was hoping there would be a few folks here in the forums who have used both and could share their experiences with me regarding the two stocks, good and bad.

Attachments

• GetImage.ashx_83c2ce69-be15-46c6-baf9-787675a2e17f_1024x1024.png
    GetImage.ashx_83c2ce69-be15-46c6-baf9-787675a2e17f_1024x1024.png
    181 KB · Views: 71
  • b.1.10.20002.jpg
    b.1.10.20002.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 57

FITASC

How do you know the current stock is too long? Are you very short in stature or have very short arms? The Mossberg/Maverick is designed to fit the average person running about 5-8 to 6' give or take.

JERRYS.

it might have made more sense to buy the right gun for you than it is to buy add-ons/replacement parts that cost as much as the cheaper gun itself. as mentioned above the 88 was designed for the smaller statured people, so if you need some modifications really think twice before you spend anymore money.

T. O'Heir

Any synthetic stock will significantly increase the felt recoil. So will that ATI thingy.
Like Bill says, assuming it's wood, cutting the stock to fit you is not rocket science. Needs a mitre box or saw and a roll of masking tape to do it right. Helps if you have a bench mounted belt sander too.
However, an M88 is identical to an M500. Any part made for a 500 will fit an 88.
"...never seen a Magpul SGA stock first hand..." At $109.95, I'm not surprised. That'd be a pricey thing for any shop to have sitting on their shelf.

FITASC

Takes a little more than a miter box - at least if you want to keep the cast, pitch and toe correct.

keithdog

FITASC, I'm barely 5'6" tall with short arms. All I had to do was hold one before I got one and I could easily tell.
JERRYS, IT'S A 200.00 GUN. I'm on a fairly tight budget. All I need is a different stock, nothing more. Not a big investment by any means.
Bill, you ever look at one of these guns? It comes with a hollow synthetic stock.
T. O'Heir. it comes with a synthetic stock already. Not wood.

Last edited:

idek

I will admit up front that I haven't used either of those exact stocks, but...

...I've got a Magpul stock on a rifle with the exact same spacer and comb setup.

...And, like you, I have used ATI telescoping stocks on rifles.

...As I type this, I have two rifles wearing Magpul stocks in the gun safe, and two ATI rifle stocks collecting dust in the basement.

Based on my experiences, I'd opt for the Magpul stock on a shotgun. It feels more solid to me, and I prefer its grip angle over any vertical pistol grip I've tried. The Magpul stock is probably the heavier of the two stocks (listed at 1.5#) and most likely heavier than the hollow factory stock. That might ease the recoil a little.

If you do choose the Magpul, this might be cheaper than some other places.
https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-sga-stock-mossberg-500-590-590a1-black?custcol_pco=Orphan

Last edited:

JERRYS.

the collapsible stock would seem to be better for your needs because it is easier to adjust to get that just right size. federal reduced recoil 00 Buck would be a good load for such a light weight gun.

keithdog

That was kind of my thoughts too for a gun that is not going to be used for hunting or trap shooting. God willing, the only shooting this gun will see will be for training purposes.

wild cat mccane

At 14", I would say the LOP of all Mossbergs does NOT fit most people.

13" has never offended anyone.

I think the Mossberg Bantam (12ga) LOP is perfect.

Did you get the black or tan version?

If you look at the Mossberg specs---the black version is slightly shorter than the tan one.

If you bought the tan one--maybe the black stock would work better for you.