Mossberg Breaking In?

dreaming

Should a new 20 gauge Mossberg semi need to be broken in before it ejects 7/8 ounce factory loads? A guy I shot with today has a Mossberg that readily cycles 1 ounce loads, but frequently chokes on 7/8 ouncers. This is after breaking it in on 200 1 ounce loads. He says he cleaned all the grease and preservatives out of the gun before shooting it.

Rifletom

Hmmm. Does this have the two different pistons like the Weatherby SA-08 for lighter/heavier loads? Seems like a 20ga SA ought to work with 7/8oz loads fine. Interested also.

dreaming

I don't know that much about the gun other than it is a Mossberg SA-20 and the manual does not indicate any adjustment for lighter loads. I do see that the manual says it is designed for 15/16 oz 2-3/4" loads, a trifle stronger than the 7/8 oz loads he has been shooting.

I wonder if Mossberg's manual is in error. I don't have a 20 ga and know little about them, but is 15/16 even a common 20 gauge load in 2-3/4? The next I see him I will suggest a call to Mossberg.

FrankenMauser

That's Mossberg just covering their rear end, by splitting the gap between common loads.

Run what it likes, or buy a better shotgun.

FITASC

Even though he cleaned it, he might want to check the gas ports with a pipe cleaner or similar. 7/8 oz is the standard 20 weight and it should run everything from target loads to hunting rounds.

Rifletom

7/8oz and 3/4oz

Looking over my 20ga factory shells, they are all either 3/4oz or 7/8oz. Some are Wal-Mart Federal promotion loads[Muti-Purpose Load]. These are2&1/2 dram, 7/8oz that work thru a friend's Weatherby SA-08 20ga using the "Light Load" piston. I also have Federal "Speed-Shok" that are 3/4oz, but, are 3.19 dram. These have worked with either piston in the Weatherby. I agree with you, a call to Mossberg is in order. That SA-20 should work with lighter loads. Could be wrong here. Perhaps others will give us more meaningful info.
If you guys do talk to Mossberg, please let us know what they say, as I was very interested in one of these. The Weatherby seems more tolerant however.

FITASC

RT - Where are you finding FACTORY 3/4oz loads? I load my own; the CB 3/4 wad works great (in both 12 and 20)

Rifletom

3/4oz loads

FITASC,
All were purchased thru "Ammoseek" .com. These are the Federal "Steel and Target" loads, [FRS20 7] and Federal "Speed -Shok" waterfowl loads. The speed -shok seem a bit hotter, but, not much.Speed-Shok#WF208 6. I'm looking right at them. I should note that these are steel. Sorry for possible confusion.

dreaming

He said that he not only cleaned the gun thoroughly when he got it, but that he cleaned it again before I shot with him and it wouldn't cycle. He said that he checked the gas port. This is all after shooting 200 rounds of 1 ounce loads to break it in.

From a quick google, I understand that even if the port is clear he possible could have a bad piston, the port may be drilled undersize, the wrong and too heavy of a spring was used. I don't think he can afford a better gun nor should he have to. Even a lower price gun shouldn't have the problems that his has. I will tell him to call Mossberg. He has been dealing with the range that sold it and those guys are worthless IMO.

FITASC

I should note that these are steel.

That explains it.!

I will tell him to call Mossberg. He has been dealing with the range that sold it and those guys are worthless IMO.

That would be best. It should NOT have any issues dealing with standard factory loadings of the nominal weight.