Mossberg atr or Howa 1500

DannyAbear

OK guys, i'm fixing to get into varmit hunting again here is south louisiana (armadillos and nutria) and don't want to spend a ton on new rifle. Been looking at the mossberg atr100 amd the Howa 1500 at Academy. Mossberg w/scope is $300 and Howa w/scope is $400. Is the Howa worth the extra $100?
Caliber = 243 winchester.

RevolverLover

I have a Howa 1500 in .223. It's very accurate for the price. I don't have any experience with the Mossberg ATR.

Have you looked at the Stevens 200?

armedtotheteeth

The mossberg ATR shoots pretty good. ( 30-06) About 1 1/2 groups at 100 . Kicks alot in 06. 243 shouldnt be bad. My gripe is the plastic loop that serves as the sling mount. BAD BAD IDEA>

crowbeaner

Get the Howa. Any of their rifles I've looked at were nice pieces of work; they also made guns for more than one retailer. IMHO that the Howa will be more accurate also. .243s are available from lots of different makers, and the one you are looking at will probably outshoot the Mossy.

fisherman66

Sometime people get pissy when someone offers an alternate choice not listed. If that the case feel free to disregard. Stevens is a another choice you might consider since it falls in that same price range. I don't know if Academy carries it though.

FirstFreedom

It's a close call, and no right answer necessarily, but I believe that yes, the Howa is worth an extra $100 - Better stock, smoother action, hinged floorplate, possibly slightly better accuracy.

The Mossberg is good, though, and it's American-made in South Texas.

As fisherman said, the Stephens is as good or better than either, about the same price as the Mossberg and a little less than the Howa, and is American-made. Hard to beat the Stephens, if it's in the caliber you want.....which is?

Chris Phelps

The Howa is worth the extra money. It is sub-MOA out of the box (Mossberg isn't... at least none I have seen thus far)... and the Howa has a MUCH stronger aftermarket following.

You could also pick up a Remington 700 SPS for about $389.

Davis

Heh, you could really muck things up by getting a Mossberg 1500 made by Howa. Then, you'd have that Howa 1500 with a Mossberg name on it!

Davis

workinwifdakids

I just bought the Mossberg 100 ATR Marinecote w/ Scope (3-9x40) package. I tossed in a pair of Uncle Mike's quick-detach swivels from Wally-World; that, with a nice padded non-slip Cabela's sling, and I'm a happy man.

I'm taking it shooting this week, so if you can hold out that long, I'll post some pics and review.