Mossberg 835mag.

12-34hom

I just won a mossberg 835 shotgun at a DU banquent. This weapon sports a #1/2 chamber and came with choke for turkey hunting. [xxfull?] Comments on this weapon and selections on choke requirments for shooting steel loads? What type of after market barrels are best for shooting slugs?? I was thinking about turning this gun in a tactical weapon, carrying it on duty in my squad car. Any comments would be welcomed and thank you.

SEAN WILLIAMS

Now don't quote me, but I think I remember reading that the 835 has an over-size barrel, so slugs may be very inaccurate, or even dangerous.

bauldy

Hello 12-34hom, I have the 835. Sean is correct, the barrel is overbored to near 10ga. Do not shoot slugs with that barrel. It's ok to use steel shot with the Accu-mag choke that came with that barrel. Someone else will have to help you with other chokes. You can buy a slug barrel from Mossberg. They also have a smooth bore 18 1/2in. barrel for about $100. That is what I use for home defense. If you do try the 3 1/2in. loads, be sure to wear a little extra clothing. They tend to kick a bit more. :eek: For the money, I'm very pleased with my Mossberg. :D Hope this helps some.
David

[This message has been edited by bauldy (edited March 13, 2000).]