Mossberg 590A1 or Remington 870 Police?

Southern_guy

Basically, I'm looking for a durable, hell and back, battle-tested shotgun that can stand up to anything thrown at it and still keeps firing. Now I've heard that the Remington failed to hold up in the military adoption testing, but that the Mossberg can't accept chokes and the like. In your opinion, which option is better?

Dfariswheel

Mossberg made lots of advertising hay about "Only Mossberg passed the US Government test".

The reason only Mossberg passed is because ONLY Mossberg ever presented a shotgun to BE tested.
Remington never entered a gun because they had nothing to gain.

The test wasn't to determine the BEST gun, it was simply a test that had to be passed in order to be considered.
Since there was no way Remington's steel receiver gun could underprice the Mossberg cast aluminum gun, Mossberg was going to get the contract no matter what.

As to which is best.
Most comparisons are comparing the Mossberg 590 series, Mossberg's BEST gun against the Remington Express, Remington's CHEAPEST gun.

Simply take a look at what American law enforcement uses.
Your local police, sheriff, State police, and most all Federal agencies use the Remington 870P Police gun.
In fact, over 95% of all law enforcement use the Remington Police model, and have for 50 years simply because it's proven to take any abuse and still work.

For the average shotgunner, just about any pump gun will work just fine and last a lifetime.
It's just that the Police model has a well-earned reputation of being the best.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Mossberg... For home defense using the 18-20 inch barrel there simply is no need for removable chokes. For every hunting length you can get them with removable choke tubes. Mine is 18 years old but has 8+ years of severe use with never a disassembly for cleaning... It has no excessive wear to be found. It has never failed to feed/fire or eject a shell in many thousand rounds of use.
Brent

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Either, though the idea of letting a heavily used shotgun go for decades without deep cleaning rasps my sensibilities no end.

As D faris relates, the Mossberg was unopposed. Remington has been selling 870s as fast as they can be made. Making the changes the govt wanted like ambidextrous safeties to sell a few thousand shotguns simply wasn't good business.

And, going by pics on the news, plenty of 870s seem to turn up in sandy, dangerous places anyway.

To repeat myself, an 870 will outlast a 590 or 500 in my opinion, but it'll take a couple generations of shooters to confirm it.

Get the one that feels best, shoot it plenty, clean it often.

imp

I have two mossberg 590's, a mariner and a parkerized. I've had the mariner for 8-10 years and the park. version is a new addition. I have never had a malfunction of any kind with either, and the mariner probably has 10K through it.

And if your wondering why I have two nearly identical shotguns, I got the parkerized 590 for $200 slightly used and couldn't pass it up, even though I am positive that the mariner will probably last till the end of days.

TxGun

You really can't go wrong with either the 870 or the 500/590. Both are well-tested over the long haul. Pick the one that feels best to you and don't look back.

STAGE 2

Both are fine shotguns and I own both. That said, the remington is beefier and more robust. If thats what you're looking for then the remmy is it.

KMO

+1 on both being dependable shotguns. Their differences are just not very significant. Both are simple pump action reliable shotguns. You can't miss either way.

mellow_c

I recently read a review in a magazine called "Gun Tests" They are independent, and are supported completely on the money provided by subscribers. No advertisements or money coming in from manufactures trying to push their products. They reviewed the Mossberg and Remington 870 Pump shot guns... Although they were reviewing the 20 gauge models, I'm sure the results would be the same for 12 gauge.

They chose the 870 over the Mossberg. They rate guns with a rating of F-A+. I think they gave the 870 an A, and the Mossberg an A- or B+ (Cant remember)

Their reasoning was pretty simple, they 870 just felt better, and worked Just as well. Sure they Mossberg was nice, and worked perfectly. But the 870 also worked perfectly, and was just a little nicer in general.

I own an 870 12 gauge, 6+1 shot 18" barrel, all black. I love it. it's great to shoot clays with. and just fun shooting. And for home defense, I dont think it can be beat. It will shoot 2 and 3/4" shells, and 3" shells. I did alot of research before making up my mind. and I am very happy that I chose the 870 over the Mossberg.

In all reality, you'll be happy with either one. But if your really picky (like me) and like just a little extra style as opposed to "cool factor" you'll go with the 870.

John Moses

add me to the "both are great"

The only thing that makes me choose one over the other is where the safety is. I prefer the "on top " location on the Mossberg over the "trigger guard" of the Remington.

Having said that, I own an 870

556A2

When Mossberg makes spare barrels for Remington 870s, its a good indicator of exactly how much support, and satisfied customers there are for the 870.

Icopy1

Not that it matters much, but the Mossy has a bayonet lug.

I've owned both and shot both. The 870 fit me better than the Mossy. So the Mossy was sold.

Desert01

Dfariswheel wrote:
Simply take a look at what American law enforcement uses.
Your local police, sheriff, State police, and most all Federal agencies use the Remington 870P Police gun.
In fact, over 95% of all law enforcement use the Remington Police model, and have for 50 years simply because it's proven to take any abuse and still work.

The flip side is that Mossberg makes very little effort to sell their shotguns. Remington has a dedicated Military Products Group, Law Enforcement Division, Law Enforcement Training, and you can buy the uber cool flavor of the week from Remington. Mossberg makes shotguns. They have a couple of hair brained products, but not the deapth of Remington. They also don't go to the same expenses that Remington does to sell their products.

Mossberg has it's share of LE markets shotguns and most shotguns in service with the US Military are 18 1/2" Mossberg 500's or 590's with bead sights. A few of the 20" models with bead sights and heat sheilds are also out there in the military. In all about 30,000 military 500/590's are in service.

Either will do the same when you compare comperable models. Mossberg's will generaly be less expensive for the same level of features.

And I can't stand "Gun Tests".

spoolup

Get both??? Seriously its comes down to what you like better. Both are great guns. I have both but prefure the 870 more and well I ahve more 870s (4) than 590s (1). But the 590 is a great gun.. more so for lefties and such, but I can not stand a pistol grip on a mossie due to the safety location.
HD_shotties_resized.JPG

what_they_are.JPG

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I did not know The 870 was available in a magnum capable variation... I may have to compare the prices of the mossberg magnum and remington 870 magnum...
Brent

foghornl

Go to your local gunshop, and test fit them both...Then hit the range and test fire both..see which one 'Fits' you best.

I am a Mossberg guy..but as the saying goes "Ain't no flies on the Remington"

Caeser2001

I used a 590 in Iraq and own an 870, they are both great guns, the 590 though fells more natural to me, but I got a good deal on the 870. it's all personal preference.