Mossberg 590 or Benelli Super Nova

ramp_tech

Just like the topic, which one should I get for home defense?

I am more leaning toward the 590 for the price and the abundance of after market parts. However, the Super Nova seems like a all purpose gun that will last forever.

I already have a all tripped up Remington 870 with collapsible stock, light, pistol grip & fore grip.

I guess the only thing that turns me off on the Super Nova is that it's a semi-automatic shotgun rather than a pump action.

kiwi56

Mossberg or Benelli

I have only ever owned one Mossberg shotgun (an 835) and didn't like it, as a cheaper option to the super nova you might be able to get a second hand Benelli M1 SUPER 90, in my opinion a vastly superior gun to the 590.
You may also wish to have a look at the Berreta 1201FP riot gun, I had one of those and wished I had never sold it.

Last edited:

Coffee357

Purty sure the Supernova is a pump-gun. I get to play with the standard Nova at work and gotta say the action is SMOOOOTH. Can't help you more than that as they both seem to be awesome guns. Currently looking for a 590 myself, though...

arizona98tj

ramp tech.....you probably need to do a little more research. The SuperNova is certainly a pump shotgun.

Last fall, I was in the market for a new shotgun with a barrel in the 18" area. I wasn't set on any particular brand when I had the opportunity to shoulder a SuperNova at a local gun shop. I tried several others there that day but for me, the SN simply fit nice and felt even better.

I opted for the regular stock (my buddy eventually bought the same with a pistol grip stock). The Tactical model I got had ghost ring sites, which was one less item that came off the "want to get list" right off the bat.

It spent its break-in period, so to speak, at a 4 day shotgun training course. It gave me a chance to observe a number of other popular models and quite a variety of aftermarket add-ons.

If you are interested, you can read my comments about how it performed at
http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/fs-shotgun/fs-shotgun-1.htm

You can find a couple of write-ups/reviews (again, my thoughts on the subject) for what I added to the SuperNova at http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms.asp