Mossberg 500 vs 590

tuckerdog1

I'm confused & need a little help. I thought the difference between a 500 & a 590 was steel trigger guard & safety switch. Not much of a difference. Now looking at the Mossberg website, it looks like the 590A1 has the steel & the "plain" 590 does not. If that's the case, what is the difference between the 500 & the generic 590 ( not the 590A1 )?
I can get a NEW 500 with both stock & pistol grip for $250. I have found, a used 590 ( have not seen it yet ), described as LIKE NEW, asking $275. Can probably get it for a little less.
So what's the difference I'm missing?

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1

perpster

500's you can swap barrels, but they're usually at least 20" (check catalog on this). 590's are shorter and can't swap barrels. No chokes on 590 barrels.

I'm looking to buy one also. My impression is 590 is strictly for self defense while 500 can be SD or hunting/target. Of course 590 can be used for that too, but not the right tool for the job.

590A1 with metal also has heavy barrel, besides metal safety and trigger guard. This is what I think I'm going for.

rugerdude

Okay, with the 500, you most likely have a 6 shot capacity (unless it's the 500 cruiser, then it's 8) and on the 500, you can get slug barrels, vent rib barrels, anything really in the way of barrels (mine has an 18.5 in. one) You also have a plastic trigger guard and safety.

With the 590, you have a 9 shot capacity and a 20" barrel(although I believe there is an 8 shot model with an 18.5 in. barrel), and the barrels do not interchange with the 500 series because of the elongated magazine tube. The trigger guard and safety are plastic.

The 590A1 has the same features as above except the safety and trigger guard are steel, and it usually has ghost ring sights.

This is how I understand it, feel free to correct any errors.
Hope I could be of some help

tuckerdog1

Thanks Perpster

I dropped by a local gun shop today to compare side by side. The counter help didn't really have a clue. But I just don't see a difference that justifies the extra cost. Although in my case, it wouldn't be that much different.
However, the 500 here does come with both stock & pistol grip. And even though I'd probably never use the option of swapping barrels, it's nice to be able to, if I'd choose. Plus the 500 here would be NEW. So I think I'm gonna go with the 500.

Tuckerdog1