Mossberg 500/Maverick 88 parts interchange?

hoytinak

Does the Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88 use the same "action slide tube assembly"?

I've decided since I can't find the 20" barrel/8rd mag tube for my 500, I'm just gonna buy a complete shotgun with the barrel/mag tube I want and swap parts. I would like to keep the wood stock/forend that's on my 500 and it's the older one so the action slide tube is a different size than the newer ones. The new 88 and 500 price different is about $100 and since I'm just wanting to swap out the parts and sell it, I'm thinking about going with the 88.

Dfariswheel

The metal is pretty much the same, but the Model 88 has a plastic forearm that's molded on the tube assembly and is not removable.
This tube and molded-on forearm is made in Mexico for Mossberg.

The Model 500 has a removable forearm.

hoytinak

Yeah, I knew the 88 was molded to the tube assembly, that why I was hoping the tube was the same as I'll just swap the whole tube, keeping the forearms themselves intact.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot....I was just thinking, all I want off the 88 is the mag tube and barrel. So just swapping them out with my 500 will work. It's been a long week, not sure what I was thinkin' earlier. :eek:

Last edited: