Mossberg 500 mag plug.

imp

If you haven't seen one, it looks like a chopstick with rubber O-rings on each end. Is there a bonafide reason for these o-rings?

Twice now, I've had the plug get caught up in the magazine spring, the second time it twisted the bejesus out of the spring.

I ordered a new spring, and my plan is to cut a larger diameter dowel rod to the appropriate length, and forgo the o-rings. Anyone see a problem with that proposal?

Virginian

That's the solution. The only purpose I cs\an see for the O rings is to keep it from rattling. I have used an old wooden pencil or even a stick in an emergency.

jaguarxk120

Use a dowel rod just large enough to fit inside of the magazine spring.
round the ends and sand smooth, give it a coat of wax and install inside
of the spring.

Drm50

Rem has plastic plugs that come with 870/1100s. They work good in about any
gun I have come across. I had a whole cigar box full of them until Ohio went 3
shot on slug hunters. Now since rifle season it's still 3 shot but it's honor system
no plug required. The older guns had wooden dowels with rounded end that were
perfectly functional. I don't know what Moss thinking was on balloon stick with
O rings. Must be cheaper than 1/2" dowel. I have seen several jam up mag spring.

T. O'Heir

"...section of an arrow works fine..." So does a piece of tree branch cut to length when you get out and find the factory plug is at home. It doesn't need to be of a larger diameter though.
"...until Ohio went 3 shot..." Just so you don't feel oppressed. Ontario's been 3 in the gun regardless of the game hunted for eons. snicker.

Orion6

On a Mossberg you essentially HAVE to use the wood plug. Or something that same diameter. As stated, round off the ends a bit, wax it and don’t worry about it. It works.

RMcL

The Mossberg 590 series finally corrected the Model 500 Magazine/barrel retention design problem.