Mossberg 500 capacity question

bustersmaster

I bought a new Mossy shortbarrel shotgun last fall and took it out this afternoon for the first time to try it out. I was surprised to find that I could'nt get more than 2 shells in the magazine tube. I was reasonably sure that this gun was supposed to hold 5 shells. When I try to push the 3rd one in, it goes about half an inch and stops pretty abruptly. Any ideas on this or did I buy a 2 shot Mossy? Thanks in advance for any help.

EEL92fs

take the plug out =) you have a "stick in the tube.. Take the barrel off and shake the gun like you would be shooting the ground the stick will come out and just pull. you should have two rubber rings on the stick this is to keep it in the tube.

TxGun

It has a plug in the magazine. It's standard in order to comply with migratory game laws. Take the barrel off, turn the mag tube down, and shake the gun until you can pull out the small diameter dowel Mossberg uses as a plug.

:))...just a little late...again).

bustersmaster

Thank you

Thank you both very much. It sure is nice to have access to so much expertise. Yep, that pesky dowel just came right out. I'm back outside to have more fun.

Kmar40

:) Been there, done that, I hate to admit. In the old days the dowel came in the box, not already installed in the mag tube. I bought one recently and didn't notice it was in there until I was doing my pre-shooting cleaning and heard the plug rattle. At first, I thought I had a bad spring. :blush: These kind of things keep a man humble.

Last edited: