Mossberg 500-B Serial Number Location

this_is_nascar

I have an old Mossberg 500-B, 16-gauge, pump-action, 28" full-choke barrel, chambered for 2 3/4. I know this shotgun is at least 30-40 years old and possibly older than that. I'm trying to locate the serial number and am not having any luck at all. Is it possible it never came with a serial number? If it has to have a serial number, where would I find it?

natman

Serial numbers weren't required before the Gun Control Act of 1968. Most guns had one anyway, but some did not. If the gun is pre-68, no serial number is required.

Current 500s have the serial on the LH side of the receiver just above the trigger.

this_is_nascar

Thanks. I did some more research today on this gun. It appears the 500-B was produced between 1963 and 1969. I'm thinking this one was definately pre-1968, since I find absolutely no serial number at all.

Virginian

16 gauge Mossberg 500s are not that rare, and most 16 fans are looking for a nicer gun than a 45 year old Mossberg 500, too. I am not saying it is not a good workable gun. They haven't sold over 10 million of them for nothing.

natman

Just to put it in perspective, a 16 ga Mossberg 500 will command a premium over a 12 in similar condition, but it's not going to put your kids through college. It might get you and your wife a nice meal if you don't order expensive wine. :D